[Air-L] critical work on Internet access and accessibility for people with disabilities?

Gerard Goggin gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au
Tue Sep 3 20:10:00 PDT 2013

Hi Philippa, and Air-L colleagues,

Great that you are embarking on this project.

Just to add to John and Michael's suggestions, my observation - having
co-authored the 2003 'Digital Disability' book, & written various things
since - is while there is now much more research/literature available on
Internet and disabilities, there is still surprisingly little critical
literature on disability and the Internet.

There is Katie Ellis and Mike Kent's terrific 'Disability & New Media'
(2011, Routledge), as well as Mike Jaeger's 'Disability & the Internet:
Confronting a Digital Divide' (Rienner, 2011).

Also very important is Karen Peltz Strauss's 'A New Civil Right:
Telecommunications Equality for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Americans'
(Gaulladet, 2006).

And quite a few other important papers, not least the special issue of ICS
you note.

However, and I hope I'm wrong on this, the potential cross-over between,
say, Internet studies, and, on the other hand, critical disability studies
lies ahead.

Now, the point you raise about the intersection between health and
disability in relation to Internet technologies is interesting.

My theory is that there is a lot of health technologies that are really
about disability (or engage disability & design in some way). But this is
not recognised.

And, here's my simple version of the argument, this is because the
biomedical model is dominant in relation to health technologies -- rather
than an acknowledgement of the social/cultural/political shaping of
disability (and health) in what we take to be interventions into health
and well-being.

In any case, I hope this is useful, and very best wishes with your
research.

Gerard Goggin

--
Gerard Goggin