[Air-L] Advice on dissertation publishing?

John Anderson john at diymedia.net
Mon Sep 23 19:28:08 PDT 2013

First-time book author (and long-time list lurker) here. Finished my diss in 2011, which is available online for free through my school's library repository. About a year later, I landed a contract to publish as a book, which will come out early 2014.

There was no discussion with the publisher about whether or not a freely-available diss has a market impact. In part, I think this is due to the subject material and relative lack of work in the area, so YMMV.

But more importantly, to expand on Rob's last point, a diss is not a book, so I feel like there's an apples/oranges thing happening here. Though I wrote it with book-publication as the ultimate goal, the diss was still constructed on a tight deadline primarily to convince four people that I was smart enough to be called "Dr." That is not what the book is—it's 56,000 words lighter yet incorporates recent developments and gave me the space to explore those fundamental observations that eluded me the first time around.

I think the same thing applies to diss chapters vs. journal articles. Sure, your submission may be "verbatim from the diss," but the end-product almost certainly won't be. The evolutionary process that is publication changes things in a way that ultimately improves or extends upon the initial research work, to make for a unique and valuable contribution to the body of knowledge.

I can't wrap my head around where the AHA's coming from. Are dissertations in history generally so awesome that they come out pretty much as books? Doesn't the same evolutionary process apply? Where's the fire?

-John

John Anderson, etc.
http://www.diymedia.net