[Air-L] Online Teaching Opportunities and Practices

Michael Baron webbaron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 03:30:52 PDT 2013

Recently, I've been doing some e-teaching and I noticed that while
e-learning content management systems (CMS) enable Universities not only
deliver their programs worldwide but also to employ lecturers/course
developers/coordinators from around the Globe, all of the institutions that
I've been involved with, employ lecturing staff that is based locally
(Australia). In 90% of the cases, the lecturers/tutors are expected to be
based in the same city as the institution they are working for.

Given the online nature of the delivery, I am curious why the
Melbourne-based training providers are so unwilling to employ
internationally-acclaimed professors/trainers/course developers and whether
Universities in other countries are managing their online staffing
arrangements likewise or not.

Have their been any papers published on this topic? Are their any truly
international Universities that recruit online teaching staff from all over
the world?

Any feedback/suggestions will be appreciated.
Michael Baron

--
Dr. Michael Baron
CEO, Baron Consulting