[Air-L] Add the contact details of reviewers to published, peer-reviewed papers

Johann Höchtl johann.hoechtl at donau-uni.ac.at
Sat Sep 7 03:49:26 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

I get  regulary invited to review papers. I like reviewing papers, good
written papers enlarge my expertise (and even "bad" ones almost ever
have stgh. to offer)

I take reviews serious, even when I decide to reject a submission. Good
comments addressing scientific rigor, reasoning and style, can be a
tremendous help to improve a paper for a later submission. At the same
time I hope to get meaningful reviews for papers I am co-authoring.

Our department is running a scientific journal. Submission are reviewed
by ~5 reviewers and we regularly receive reviews which vary quality-wise
in broad ranges, from thoroughly carried out to a mere "good written".
Some of them might be unacceptable (thus ~5reviews per submission).

Sure, it is our liability to carefully select reviewers. And most of the
time reviews are voluntary carried out in spare time. However, apart
from these arguments justifying hasty reviews, what strikes me is the
fact that the reviewers identities are kept in secrecy.

Bachelor, master & PhD-thesis all carry the supervisor in bold letters.
Peer-reviewed papers (or journals) for which the gentle reader might
have to pay prices up into the hundreds of <your currency> though keep
the reviewers, which are rampart to keep quality, in clandestine.

I don't know where this habit comes from, but it must be somewhere
deeply enshrined, as I am not aware of a style manual which describes
where to put and how to format reviewer contact details of papers
(though there might be such).

Knowing the reviewers of papers, both the authors as well as the reader,
has a couple of advantages:

* The reviewer is more obliged to deliver qualitative work as the paper
is under public scrutiny in respect to her / his effort put into
reviewing the paper.
* The reviewer is especially obliged to the authors as her / his verdict
will have to be carefully justified.
* These forces will increase the quality of a papers.
* It will encourage scientific discourse

Though there are also possible disadvantages:

* There might be less papers published as reviews will be carried out
with increased rigor and reviewers more tending to reject than to
approve to avoid qualitative discussions afterwards.

I for one will start to discuss this topic with our journal editors and
gather their opinions.

This is a general topic and should this be inappropriate for this
mailing list I apologize and will put it on a blog.

Regards,

    Johann

--
Dr. Johann Höchtl