[Air-L] Advice on dissertation publishing?

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 23 15:03:23 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I got an interesting query from a new colleague today.
It is her specific issue, but I think a more general one for journals.

See below for my edited version of the query. Please respond to the list
in general

   Barry Wellman

   NetLab Director                   FRSC                  INSNA Founder
   Faculty of Information (iSchool)                 611 Bissell Building
   140 St. George St.    University of Toronto    Toronto Canada M5S 3G6
                  NSA/CSEC: Canadian and American citizen
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39      Print $20  Kindle $16
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8

The university where I got my PhD requires publishing through ProQuest -
either "traditional" or "open access." For traditional, it is closed and people
must pay to access it (and I would receive a royalty, but I don't know who in
their right mind might actually purchase a dissertation), and in open it is
freely available for download. In either case I retain the copyright.

*** My question is this: does either option impact my ability to publish
journal articles from the document? Specifically, I have four papers I'd like
to pull from it and much of each would be verbatim from the diss.

*** Will journals see papers from an open access diss as "already
published" or as somehow less desirable? I'd prefer to put it out open
access, but not at the risk of not being able to publish from it.