[Air-L] Advice on dissertation publishing?

Ben Light ben.light at qut.edu.au
Sun Sep 29 20:16:52 PDT 2013

Alice,

The point you make about using download info as part of the 'sales pitch'
for a book contract is excellent.  I'd not thought of it that way before -
thanks!

In my experience, I've never known anyone have problems with
publishers/journals viz having their work out there in PhD format prior
to/alongside formal publication.  As has already been said here, it's
generally a different animal that comes out the other end of those
processes anyway.

Whilst we are on the subject, another really important reason to keep our
PhDs in the public domain whether that's on a library shelf or in some
kind of online open access repository, is that it shows our work at a
particular point in time -  as a PhD.

PhD researchers just starting out need to see the different shapes PhDs
can take and also, hopefully, they demonstrate the kind of expectations
and thinking that is expected.  PhDs are important reference works even
though,and actually BECAUSE, they might have a few kinks in compared to
anything we might produce later.  Mine certainly has them, but then again
so does my current work :O)

Cheers,

Ben.

Ben Light
PhD MSc BA(Hons)
Professor of Digital Media Studies

Creative Industries Faculty
School of Media, Entertainment and Creative Arts
Queensland University of Technology
Creative Industries Precinct Z1-515
Musk Avenue Kelvin Grove
QLD 4059 Australia