[Air-L] critical work on Internet access and accessibility for people with disabilities?

Andrew Clark andrewrclark at mac.com
Tue Sep 3 20:48:33 PDT 2013

Gerard

Hi - I would agree with your broad point. However I think one needs to be careful when using the term disability when in fact describing impairment. Many technological devices designed to enhance functional capacity are a response to impairment. In essence as you note this is a bio mechanical response to a persons impairment.

Disablement is a much broader concept encompassing technological / social / cultural / economic exclusion resulting from the impairment.

It is in the exclusion we learn a lot about privilege and perceived norms. For example in a multicultural countries such as Australia, Canada etc the publicly anthropometric measurements are based on a very small subset of body shapes and sizes - generally young men women joining armed forces. As a result, they exclude a broad range of people from the supposed norm. So design and concepts of universal design are fundamentally flawed, as  they are based on a set of data which at its core is exclusionary.

Those are just a few thoughts

Andrew Clark

Andrew Clark