[Air-L] FW: Internet access and accessibility for people with disabilities

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Sep 4 02:56:20 PDT 2013

The Internet Society issued a paper earlier in the year -

Internet use by persons with disabilities: Moving Forward
http://www.internetsociety.org/doc/internet-accessibility-internet-use-persons-disabilities-moving-forward

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Peter Timusk <ptimusk at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Some thoughts from me a disabled person.
>
> From: ptimusk at sympatico.ca
> To: philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
> Subject: RE: [Air-L] Internet access and accessibility for people with
> disabilities
> Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 22:18:01 -0400
>

> I would say for mental health issues you might look at poverty as a
> factor. Also hundreds of thousands of persons with disabilities in Ontario
> my home province in Canada and I know many, many more in the USA live with
> government income support. Which means not enough money to live on
> properly. You can't look at disability in the west without looking at
> poverty.
>
> What really is accessibility on the web given this massive poverty factor.
>
> Also I remember a homeless person telling me at a protest that homeless
> people have e-mail address when discussing how to campaign.
>

> > From: philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
> > To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
> > Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 02:09:52 +0000
> > Subject: [Air-L] Internet access and accessibility for people with
>  disabilities
> >
> > Dear AOIR members,
> >
> > I am currently searching the academic literature to  help me in my
> preparation of a research proposal about internet access and accessibility
> for people with disabilities here in New Zealand. This will consider not
> only difficulties in being 'connected' but also what the needs are of
> people in using computers/the Internet whether they have impairments
> relating to vision or hearing, or who suffer from physical conditions as a
> result of diseases such as Parkinson's Disease or arthritis. Really
> anything in the health area that is relevant to this topic and it should
> extend to include anything about the benefits of the Internet for people
> with disabilities such as empowerment.
> >
> > I am aware that the Pew Report does cover this to some extent, and have
> also found Dobransky and Harigattai's 2006 paper titled 'The disability
> divide in Internet access and use' in Information Communication and Society
> to be useful. But if anyone can offer or direct me to further material I
> would be very grateful.
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Philippa
> >
> > Philippa K Smith, PhD
> > Research Manager
> > Institute of Culture, Discourse & Communication
> > AUT University
> > Auckland
> > NEW ZEALAND

> > http://www.aoir.org/

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com