[Air-L] to name reviewers or not

Johann Höchtl johann.hoechtl at donau-uni.ac.at
Sat Sep 7 22:35:55 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-08 00:12, Barry Wellman wrote:
> dear Prof Hechtl,
>
> I strongly believe the opposite: instead of "more qualitative work" (I
> assume you meant "quality work", we will only get very positive
> reviews which won't be able to sort out the gold from the wheat from
> the chaff -- as few people want to get added to enemies' lists
I see what you mean, however I am uncertain to whom reviewers are more
obliged: To the authors or to the readers. I see that a negative verdict
might and surely will raise negative sentiments in the authors. But it
is unlikely that the authors will review a paper by the reviewer right
at the same time and reviewing shouldn't be about destroying a paper but
giving helpful advice anyway.

> PS: 5 reviewers/article seems an awful lot.
Sure, this is the max. But 5 called reviews will return 2 or 3
meaningful ones with some reviewers not responding or delivering
unacceptable reviews. Maybe this should tell us stgh. about our reviewers ;)