[Air-L] FW: [JoCI] Special Issue: Building the First Mile of Broadband Connectivity + Communities Doing It For Themselves + Invitation to Online Launch

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 09:31:23 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Gurstein [mailto:gurstein at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2014 9:24 AM
To: Michael Gurstein
Subject: [JoCI] Special Issue: Building the First Mile of Broadband Connectivity - Commun + Invitation to Online Launch

Readers:

The Journal of Community Informatics has just published its latest issue at http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej. We invite you to review the Table of Contents here and then visit our web site to review articles and items of interest.

We also invite you to an online launch of the special issue of the Journal of Community Informatics (JoCI) on the First Mile of Broadband Connectivity
- Communities Doing It for Themselves. Authors will speak about their research and the communities they are working with. We will also launch the Community Informatics declaration: An Internet for the Common Good.

Please join us for this exciting and informative event by watching the live stream and participating in the chat. The event will go live at 15:30 Atlantic Canada time on April 4: http://live.knet.ca/fni

Thanks for the continuing interest in our work, Michael Gurstein Ph.D.
Editor in Chief: Journal of Community Informatics, Vancouver CANADA Phone 604-602-0624 gurstein at gmail.com

The Journal of Community Informatics
Vol 10, No 2 (2014): Special Issue: Building the First Mile Table of Contents
http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/issue/view/43

Editorial
--------
The First Mile of Brodband Connectivity in Communities: Introduction to the Special Issue
	Rob McMahon,	Duncan Philpot,	Susan O'Donnell,	Brian Beaton,	Tim
Whiteduck,	Kevin Burton,	Michael Gurstein

The Multistakeholder Model, Neo-liberalism and Global (Internet) Governance
	Michael Gurstein

Points of View
--------
The Ecology of Community Networking
	Richard Lowenberg

Articles
--------
The First Mile Approach to Community Services in Fort Severn First Nation
	Matthew Kakekaspan,	Susan O'Donnell,	Brian Beaton,	Brian Walmark,	Kerri
Gibson

Bridging the Divide: Understanding and Implementing Access to the Internet as a Human Right
	Michael Karanicolas

Understanding Broadband Infrastructure Development in Remote and Rural Communities – a Staged and Reflexive Approach
	Ingjerd Skogseid,	Ivar Petter Grøtte,	Geir Liavåg Strand

First Mile Challenges to Last Mile Rhetoric: Exploring the Discourse between Remote and Rural First Nations and the Telecom Industry
	Duncan Philpot,	Brian Beaton,	Tim Whiteduck

ICT for sustainable development: an example from Cambodia
	Helena Grunfeld

>From the First Mile to Outer Space: Tamaani Satellite Internet in Northern Quebec
	Rob McMahon,	Thomassie Mangiok

Opportunities and Challenges for First-mile Development in Rural Hawaiian Communities
	Jenifer Sunrise Winter,	Wayne Buente,	Patricia Amaral Buskirk

Developing an e-Community Approach to Community Services in Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg First Nation
	Gilbert Whiteduck,	Anita Tenasco,	Susan O'Donnell,	Tim Whiteduck,	Emily
Lockhart

Local Communities and Home Rule: Extending the Alberta SuperNet to Unserved Areas
	Nadine I Kozak

The Cancellation of the Community Access Program and the Digital Divide(s) in Canada: Lessons Learned and Future Prospects
	Chris Blanton

An African Rural Internet Network, and its interactions with Academics
	Gertjan van Stam,	Darelle van Greunen

Notes from the field
--------
Building Broadband Infrastructure from the Grassroots: the Case of Home LANs in Belarus
	Aljona Zorina,	William H. Dutton

GoFred: Municipally-Owned ICT Utilities in Fredericton, New Brunswick
	Mike Richard,	Duncan Philpot

Rural Communications – What is a Rural Municipality’s Role?
	Allan Bly

Building First Nation Owned and Managed Fibre Networks across Quebec
	Tim Whiteduck,	Brian Beaton

Settler Colonialism and First Nations e-Communities in Northwestern Ontario
	Brian Beaton,	Peter Campbell

Information and Communication Technology for Education in an Algonquin First Nation in Quebec
	Emily Lockhart,	Anita Tenasco,	Tim Whiteduck,	Susan O'Donnell

The First Mile Connectivity Consortium and Digital Regulation in Canada
	Rob McMahon,	Heather Hudson,	Lyle Fabian

________________________________________________________________________ The Journal of Community Informatics http://www.ci-journal.net