[Air-L] 2nd CfP

Dorottya Cserző CserzoDC at cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 05:47:32 PDT 2014

?Dear researchers

The Centre for Language and Communication Research<http://cardiff.ac.uk/encap/research/clcr/> at Cardiff University in collaboration with theDepartment of Linguistics<http://www.du.ac.in/index.php?id=319> at the University of Delhi are pleased to announce the international and interdisciplinary conference

Downscaling Culture:
Revisiting Intercultural Communication

Cardiff University, Wales, UK
18-19 September 2014

In this conference we would like to address culture and intercultural communication from a micro-perspective. Commonly the linguistic study of intercultural communication is concerned with analysing miscommunication between speakers from two or more different 'cultures', defined predominantly as large-scale nation and language communities. A downscaled notion of culture entails a fresh look at local cultures: subcultures, small groups, families, communities of practice; every group of persons who use common signs to create meaning-making ensembles of signs that relate to their life-world.

We invite papers that address such themes. A full list of further topics as well as the complete call for papers can be found on the conference website<http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/encap/newsandevents/events/conferences/downscalingculture.html>.

Abstracts (300 words) for papers and posters are invited until 30 April 2014. Acceptance will be communicated by 31 May 2014. To submit an abstract or for queries, please contact the organising committee at: downscalingculture at cardiff.ac.uk<mailto:downscalingculture at cardiff.ac.uk>

This conference is made possible through the ESRC Partnering Scheme<http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding-and-guidance/postgraduates/esrc-students/other-opportunities/PhD-Partnering-Scheme.aspx>.
We would like to thank our collaborators for their support!?