[Air-L] Research about informal education on YouTube

Julia Lowe jk.lowe at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 2 20:42:37 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm working on pulling together research that deals with informal education/educational spaces/educational communities on YouTube (i.e., not profs or teachers who are using YouTube in the classroom, but people who are creating educational content and aren't affiliated with an educational institution - e.g., the Vlogbrothers' videos, the Nerdfighter community, Veritasium, CPG Grey, etc). I've posted to the Air-Grad listserv, and although I received messages saying the line of research was interesting and asking me to pass info along, I didn't hear from anyone doing similar research.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Julia Lowe
PhD student, Humanities, Social Science, Social Justice in Education
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), University of Toronto
jk.lowe at mail.utoronto.ca