[Air-L] science/environmental reporting in the media

T.Ashe t.ashe at open.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 04:07:02 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I'm currently putting together a literature review on the changing media ecology of science and environmental journalism, with a view to the changes occasioned by the rise of new media, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice.

I think my major problem is that, without a background in media, I'm struggling even to really clarify what 'new media' means in this context. Even just pinning down the proliferation of technologies is a bit overwhelming and yet I can't really afford to spend more than a page or two on this. I don't think I have the vocabularity to capture how the internet allows traditional media (TV, radio, newspapers, books, etc.) to be accessed from new devices, provided in different ways, etc. and I feel there must be ways of categorising the different dimensions of change, of which I'm not aware.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any literature reviews that succinctly clarify the issues around defining the technological and social rise of new media in a way that can give me the background info to situate my literature review? I know it's a massive topic, but I need something to give me a handle on it, which won't take up too much of the time I should be giving to the rest of the review.

Any recommended recent work on journalism and new media would also be great.

Any help much appreciated,

Teresa
-- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).