[Air-L] CFP - HICSS-48: Global Virtual Teams (GVT) Minitrack

Derrick L. Cogburn dcogburn at syr.edu
Tue Apr 15 15:48:05 PDT 2014

Dear AoIR Colleagues,

For those of you studying various aspects of communication, collaboration and technology in globally distributed teams, groups, and networks, we invite you to submit a paper to the minitrack on Global Virtual Teams (GVT) for the 48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS).  HICSS-48 will be held from 5-8 January 2015 at the Grand Hyatt on Kauai.

Our full Call for Papers and detailed information about the conference can be found here http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_48/apahome48.htm and information for potential authors can be found here http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_48/48CFP-final.pdf.

The firm due date for submission of full papers is: 15 June 2014.  All peer reviews will be completed by 1 August, with accept/reject decisions emailed shortly thereafter.  If you are interested in serving as a reviewer, please contact us as well.

About the Global Virtual Teams Minitrack

HICSS uses a minitrack structure, where smaller groups of dedicated conference participants engage intensively with a limited number of peer reviewed full papers.

The minitrack on Global Virtual Teams focuses on a wide range of topics related to distributed communication, collaboration and technology.  Today many business processes, government and scientific projects, and civil society advocacy activities are executed by geographically dispersed virtual teams.  Team members often do not have the same first language, come from different national cultures, work in different time zones and may be employed in different organizations. These differences, among others, present unique opportunities and challenges for management and leadership. This minitrack invites papers that offer insights into the successful operation of global virtual teams.

Session topics include but are not limited to:

	• Temporal separation and its effects on collaboration
	• Cultural differences in perception of time
	• Conflict resolution across cultures
	• Accessibility in global virtual teams
	• Project management styles and differences across cultures
	• Differences in language understanding and its effects on collaboration
	• Power distance and its effects on collaboration
	• Uncertainty (risk) avoidance and its effects on collaboration
	• Collaboration and communication tools
	• Differences between academic and non-academic virtual teams
	• Global virtual team case studies

Both academics and practitioners are encouraged to submit papers.

Also, we will again offer our HICSS workshop on Cross-Cultural Communication in Accessible Global Virtual Teams.  And, for HICSS-48 we are offering a half-day workshop on big data analytics and text mining in global virtual teams research.

If you have any questions about the CFP, GVT minitrack or workshops, or HICSS in general, please do not hesitate to contact either of us.

We look forward to your submissions and the continued success of the HICSS GVT minitrack.

Mike and Derrick

Mike Hine (mike.hine at carleton.ca)
Sprott School of Business
Carleton University

Derrick L. Cogburn (dcogburn at american.edu)
Associate Professor of International Relations
International Communication Program
Executive Director, Institute on Disability and Public Policy
COTELCO: The Collaboration Laboratory
School of International Service
American University