[Air-L] Relationships between text and media objects

Michele White mwhite at michelewhite.org
Sat Aug 2 18:52:02 PDT 2014

Hi Daniel,

I have been teaching a course in the textual analysis of
Internet and related technologies that addresses some of your research
questions. We mainly build our analysis from humanities forms of close reading
rather than web design or HCI texts. I have also been building arguments based
on the reoccurring aspects of Internet sites in my previous and developing
research and have an article on the use of textual analysis in Internet
settings on my “to do” list. I have an outline of some Internet analysis
methods that I could send to the listerv if there is any interest. Some of the
following might be of use to you because they outline key textual and visual
features of the web (and other aspects of the Internet and new media):

Hayles, N. Katherine. How We Think: Digital Media and Contemporary
Technogenesis. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2012.

Menon, Elizabeth K. “Virtual Realities, Technoaesthetics and
Metafictions of Digital Culture,” In The
State of the Real: Aesthetics in the Digital Age, ed. Damian Sutton, Susan
Brind, and Ray McKenzie. London: I.B. Tauris, 2007: 151-161.

Wakeford, Nina. “Developing Methodological Frameworks for
Studying the World Wide Web,” In Web
Studies, 2nd. ed., ed. David Gauntlett and Ross Horsley. London: Arnold, 2004:
34-50.

Landow, George P. Hypertext 3.0: Critical Theory and New Media
in an Era of Globalization. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press,
2006.

I think this key chapter on textual analysis might also be
highly useful: Johnson, Barbara. “Teaching Deconstructively,” Writing and
Reading Differently, ed. G.Douglas Atkins and M. L. Johnson
(Lawrence: University of Kansas Press, 1986), 140-48.

Thanks,
Michele

Professor Michele White
Department of Communication
219 Newcomb Hall
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118

Author of:
Producing Women in Internet Sites: Traditional Femininity, Queer Engagements, and Creative Practices (Routledge, 2015).
Buy It Now: Lessons from eBay (Duke University Press, 2012)
The Body and the Screen: Theories of Internet Spectatorship (MIT Press, 2006)