[Air-L] Ethics of a student project

Pimple, Kenneth pimple at indiana.edu
Fri Aug 22 10:35:59 PDT 2014

I am impressed by the wide, thoughtful, and good advice provided already. I don't think anyone asked about the maturity of the student. I'm sure I would be uncomfortable allowing SOME upper-level undergraduate students to do this research.

My first thought was to have your student be his own informant first - that is, find out as much as he can about himself on the Internet. That could be eye-opening and inform or change his approach to this research.

I am especially grateful for the security suggestions from Tim Libert.

I also like Nik's suggestion to have the informants to collect their own data while the student-researcher is present, but can't see the screen. An image jumped into my mind: The researcher asking the informant to search for information on [fill in the blank], and the reaction the researcher might see - obvious shock? Shame? Pride? Befuddlement? Without even knowing the content of the search, observation and a question or two might well uncover the reaction quite accurately.

I have to say that the image in my mind is so entertaining that my judgment on the ethics of this approach is clouded. Human subjects research should not be intended to entertain the researcher!

Ken