[Air-L] Looking for CATA program for tweet analysis

Dave Voelker dvoelker at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 26 23:57:13 PDT 2014

     I'd like to know if someone can recommend -- or knows of -- any
computer assisted text analysis (CATA) programs capable of applying
predefined concept dictionaries (lists of words and phrases representing a
concept) to large datasets of tweets.  I'm referring here to traditional,
conceptual, content analysis (social science), not the bottom-up, data
mining methods (computer science) primarily being used to analyze big data.
     An example of the kind of program I'm talking about is the freeware
Yoshikoder (http://sourceforge.net/p/yoshikoder/wiki/Home/), but I'm unable
to open a large (~ 3 GB) text file of tweets with it.

David Voelker, Ph.D.
Department of Communication
Stanford University
http://comm.stanford.edu/faculty/voelker/