[Air-L] Ratio FTP servers?

Lovaas,Steven Steven.Lovaas at ColoState.EDU
Sun Aug 17 08:44:30 PDT 2014

Hello, Nik

I'm not sure how much detail you're seeking...

The general notion is that setting a download/upload ratio should encourage people to contribute rather than just freeloading. Or, in slightly more positive language, to maintain the flow of fresh content. In practice, it tends to annoy people and drive them to other services ;) Here's a thread from 2001 showing community resistance to the notion:
http://forums.justlinux.com/showthread.php?26703-Need-ftp-server-for-ratio-site

I've also seen it used as a sort of group initiation threshold for sites specializing in "warez", the notion being that you have to prove that you're in the game before you benefit from the group's work.

Steve

Steven Lovaas
IT Security Manager
Colorado State University