[Air-L] Ethics of a student project

Kevin R. Guidry krguidry at mistakengoal.com
Thu Aug 21 06:12:33 PDT 2014

On 8/21/2014 8:05 AM, Jill Walker Rettberg wrote:

> But beyond the ethics board: what do you think about a methodology
> like this? Do you share my gut reaction or am I overreacting? Would
> you let a student do it? And what might be better ways for a student
> to do a small scale research project on this topic?

I agree that this proposal raises interesting questions.  If
circumstances - available time, course and program objectives, your
comfort level and patience - allow then it may be worth letting this
student go forward with this proposed project even if it may not get
through your institution's ethics board or find any willing
participants.  I imagine that your student would learn quite a bit if
they have to struggle through those issues e.g., why might an ethics
board be uncomfortable with this line of research, why wouldn't anyone
acquiesce to participating in this research.  You may have to work a bit
harder with this student to get through these possible barriers and come
up with alternatives but it may be worthwhile work that meets your
learning objectives.

Kevin