[Air-L] Due Today Aug 27 - GovLab's Academy Course Online Participation - Solving Public Problems with Technology

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Wed Aug 27 11:08:30 PDT 2014

This crossed my radar today just in time for you to apply - by Aug 27:
http://bit.ly/govlabacademycourse

The GovLab Academy’s new course can help you solve problems that matter.

Are you passionate about civic tech? Are you…

Working in government with an innovative project you want to bring to life?

An independent social innovator who wants to expand your toolkit for
real-world change?

Someone with an important idea for tackling a social problem but who
needs to develop the key skills to take your vision from idea to
implementation?

Spaces for online participation are now available for the GovLab
Academy’s flagship 14-week, Masters-level course, Solving Public
Problems with Technology. Learn about the program here.

http://bit.ly/govlabacademycourse

In the Fall Semester of 2014 this course is being taught live for
students at the MIT Media Lab (Wednesdays from 11am to 1pm) and NYU
students (Thursdays from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm). You can apply to join
either session as an online participant in the program (credit will
not be granted at either institution for online participants). The
course will be taught by Professor Beth Simone Noveck (Director of the
Governance Lab, author of Wiki Government and the forthcoming Smart
Citizen, Smarter State, and former Deputy Chief Technology Officer in
the Obama Administration), with contributions from the GovLab Faculty
and a wide range experts in the fields of open governance and civic
technology. Details on the subject matter covered, the work assigned,
the supplementary readings and videos, and participation logistics are
all contained in the online syllabus.

Solving Public Problems with Technology is not a traditional course.
We offer a hands-on learning and mentoring program designed to help
you shape and implement an innovative project using civic technology.
To that end, we will prepare you to take advantage of the latest
innovations in open and participatory problem-solving, including the
application of open data, crowdsourcing, expert networks and systems,
game mechanics, and prizes. We will prepare you to work with
real-world institutions and partners, such as agencies and NGOs, to
develop more effective and scalable initiatives. We will also give you
ready access to a community of like-minded practitioners and experts,
who will provide a network of support as you take your project through
to implementation.

Individuals and teams are both eligible to apply. Online participation
is free of charge thanks to a generous grant from the John S. and
James L. Knight Foundation.

While online participants will not receive academic credit the GovLab
will recognize satisfactory completion of all course requirements with
a certificate and demonstration of relevant skills and capabilities
with appropriate open badges.

Students enrolled at other institutions wishing to explore the
possibility of being granted independent study credit at their home
institution should contact us. We will be happy to collaborate.

If you wish to apply, please fill out our application form here.
Applications for Fall 2014 semester are due by August 27th, but
additional courses will be offered later this year and throughout
2015.

Can’t participate in this semester’s course? Stay updated on future
offerings by signing up here.

If you have questions please contact us at: info-academy at thegovlab.org.

About The GovLab

The Governance Lab (The GovLab) strives to improve people’s lives by
changing how we govern. We endeavor to strengthen the ability of
people and institutions to work together to solve problems, make
decisions, resolve conflict and govern themselves more effectively and
legitimately. We design technology, policy and strategies for
fostering more open and collaborative approaches to governance and we
test what works.

The goal of the GovLab Academy is to support a new generation of
public entrepreneurs to tap the intelligence of citizens and create
actionable projects that improve people’s lives.

Follow us on Twitter @TheGovLab

Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
  Executive Director - http://E-Democracy.org
  Twitter: http://twitter.com/democracy