[Air-L] Governance or Ungovernance: A Strategy Workshop for Internet Activists

Seda Gurses seda at nyu.edu
Wed Aug 27 11:35:52 PDT 2014

hey airers,
this year the internet governance forum (igf) is taking place in istanbul, which has raised some eyebrows given the government’s track record also with respect to the internet over the last 4 years.
alternatif bilisim dernegi, a local association, is organizing the internet ungovernance forum in parallel to this year’s igf in istanbul (https://iuf.alternatifbilisim.org).
in preparation of the ungovernance forum, we also put together a workshop which may be of interest to those of you who plan to be there and are asking similar questions about the future of internet governance.
please see details below and feel free to spread widely in your networks.
thank you,
s.

Governance or Ungovernance: A Strategy Workshop for Internet Activists
3rd of September, 2014 at MMO [1] Istanbul, Turkey
https://iuf.alternatifbilisim.org/gov_ungov_workshop.html

* Are you confused about all the complicated and overlapping institutions that claim to be working on Internet governance?
* Are you unsure about how activists concerned with local censorship and surveillance fit into these global structures?
* Are you wondering how the IGF, ICANN, IETF, the ITU, the CSTD, Net Mundial are relevant to your collective engagements?

If these are questions you are asking yourself and you would like to think together with other people asking similar questions, then please join us at our strategy workshop for Internet activists!

In preparation for the Internet Ungovernance Forum[2], the half-day workshop will provide an an opportunity for activists working towards a free, secure and open Internet to get to know Internet governance processes and to explore strategies for collective action. While topics abound, the focus of this workshop will be on matters of surveillance, privacy, the securitization of the Internet, and censorship. Together with invited guests, we plan to spend an afternoon developing strategies to address these problems through national and transnational Internet governance institutions, and/or through organizing outside of these structures. The participants will be expected to report important outcomes of the workshop at the final session of the Internet Ungovernance Forum.

The workshop will consist of three parts:
* A mapping and diagnosis of existing Internet governance processes that may be relevant to activists. This will include an overview of current shifts in internet governance and exploration of immediate points of intervention.
* A discussion of levels of governance, especially the relative merits of participating in local, national, or transnational institutions. We will work through strategies available to activists to address the selected topics through transnational and national institutions that make up the current Internet governance landscape.
* A discussion of initiatives and topics that the activists are currently involved in, and a mapping of their potential strategies for collective action within or outside of the Internet governance structures.

Format:
The workshop will consist of three discussion sessions structured and moderated by invited guests with experience in internet activism or in internet governance structures.

Participation:
This workshop is for activists that want to collectively develop strategies for action at the local or international level on the topics of surveillance, privacy, the securitization of the Internet and censorship. We expect activists from all disciplinary/non-disciplined backgrounds to join us. A commitment to collective action and curiosity about Internet governance processes is a plus. We ask those interested in participating to send an email to ungovWorkshop at alternatifbilisim.org by 1st of September 2014. Please include in the email a short biography and a list of topics you would like to see discussed at the workshop.

Invited Guests:
Melih Kirlidog, Alternatif Bilisim Dernegi, Marmara University
Milton Mueller, Syracuse University, Internet Governance Project
Robin Gross, IP Justice
Meryem Marzouki, CNRS

Reading Materials:
We recommend reading the following materials and studying the following websites in preparation for the workshop:
* Internet Governance Project blog [3]
* The Citizen Lab [4]
* Paper: Finding a Formula for Brazil: Representation and Legitimacy in Internet Governance [5]

Schedule:
3. of September, 2014. 13.00 - 18.00 hours

Location:
Makina Muhensidleri Odasi Istanbul Subesi (Beyoglu/Taksim)
Katip Mustafa Celebi Mahallesi
Ipek Sokak No: 9
Beyoglu, Istanbul,

Language:
The workshop will take place in English. We encourage those who have reservations attending the workshop due to their command of the English language to couple up with other participants who can support them throughout the meeting.

Please visit the Workshop webpage for updates.[6]

[1] MMO Beyoglu Ofice http://www.mmo.org.tr/genel/bizden_detay.php?kod=26967&tipi=2&sube=10
[2] Internet Ungovernance Forum https://iuf.alternatifbilisim.org
[3] http://internetgovernance.org
[4] https://citizenlab.org/