[Air-L] Study finds reduced feelings of personal well-being

Scott MacLeod scott at scottmacleod.com
Sat Aug 30 21:30:57 PDT 2014

Peter and AoIR friends,

Thanks for this:

Here's the actual MIT Technology Review article about this study:
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/530401/evidence-grows-that-online-social-networks-have-insidious-negative-effects/

In its comments' section, I asked:
Are there any comparable or comparative studies asking similar questions
concerning TV watching, say pre-Graphical User Interface (GUI) internet
in the 1980s, or even concerning book reading, on subjective well being,
both of which might be similarly isolating? ...  It seems like any
hypothetical comparative studies might examine and emphasize the
increase in the sociality in Italy thanks to social media relative to TV
watching or book reading, and now with emergent Google + group video
Hangouts and Adobe Connect, etc. and face-to-face sociality will
re-emerge in new ways, generating data for important studies ahead.
Professor Manuel Castells ("The Rise of the Network Society") casts
these questions in different contexts, sociologically, and concludes
from the sociological studies of the internet on alienation and
sociality from the 1990s that, in the aggregate, social media increased
sociality, - but he didn't examine rigorous sociological studies of
self-reported well being. Thanks for this study. Scott
(http://scottmacleod.com)

I'm teaching on Harvard's virtual island in SL and in Google + group
video Hangouts a free open course online this autumn, which in the
first half will examine, among many questions about how the
information technology revolution came about, a) the related
sociological literature that precedes the study above, and in the
second half b) problematize the development of wiki MIT OCW-centric
World University and School, which is planning free CC online
accrediting university in large languages (and I.B. degrees in UN
langs), and wiki schools in all 7,106 languages among much else:

http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2014/08/sundews-drosera-prolifera-planning-to.html

Come join the conversation in the course.

Best,
Scott

http://scottmacleod.com

On 8/30/14 6:42 PM, Peter Timusk wrote:
> This is interesting with a large sample and government agencies
> does any one know if the news article is misquoting the study?
>
> http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/social_networks_diminish_personal_wellness_researchers_say_20140830
>
>  A two-year survey of 50,000 people determined that a lack of
> face-to-face contact in interactions online—especially on social
> networks like Facebook and Twitter—reduced feelings of personal
> well-being.
>
> Reduced well-being can be interpreted to mean reduced mental
> health.
>

> more on the link. _______________________________________________
> Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org Subscribe,
> change options or unsubscribe at:
>
> Join the Association of Internet Researchers: http://www.aoir.org/

- --
- - Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- - http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- - 415 480 4577
- - PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- - World University and School - like Wikipedia with MIT OpenCourseWare
(not endorsed by MIT OCW) - incorporated as a nonprofit university and
school in California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational
organization, both effective April 2010.