[Air-L] Fellowship in Berlin 2014 at the Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society

Constantin Hoferer constantin.hoferer at hiig.de
Mon Feb 10 08:45:48 PST 2014

Dear AOIRers,

I would like to use the possibility to inform you about our this years
fellowship program. The Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and
Society (HIIG | @HIIG_berlin) which has been founded in March 2012 is meant
to enable innovative scientific research in the field of Internet and
society and to observe the development of the Internet in its interplay
with societal transformation processes.
This year the HIIG opens its doors for fellows from all over the world
again. We invite applications from early stage researchers pursuing a
project of transdisciplinary Internet research. If you are seeking exchange
regarding your research aspirations and find our objectives to match yours
or to complement them, we are looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Feel free to share our call.

Constantin

*Abstract:*
Opportunities:

Our fellowship <http://www.hiig.de/en/fellow-programme/> provides
innovative thinkers a unique opportunity to exchange experiences and set
off new initiatives in an inviting intellectual environment. The selected
fellows are very welcome to collaborate in a growing international team and
to participate in the research activities at our institute. We encourage
you to actively shape your stay according to your research interests. We
offer a number of opportunities to get involved with our research programme
and discuss your research project with the HIIG research team, such as:

   - Developing a paper concerning your research project, e.g. writing a
   journal paper in our SSRN Internet & Society
Series<http://www.hiig.de/en/research/ssrn-internet-society-series>
   - Holding a presentation about a topic of your choice in our weekly
   Journal Club
   - Organising a workshop of your research topic
   - Engage in joint activities and projects with other fellows
   - And more - according to your interest

Benefits:

Based in the heart of Berlin we will provide you with modern office space
that you will share with our researchers. Fellows are expected to bring
their own funding through their home institution or outside grants. Fellows
must take care of their accommodation, insurance, childcare, and
transportation arrangements. However, in specific cases we can provide
fellows on request with a travel allowance of up to EURO 700,- and a visa
subsidy of up to EURO 200,-. Read more about last years Fellow
Programme<http://www.hiig.de/en/summer-fellows-2013-2/>
.
Timeframe:

We offer fellowships from 3 up to 12 months starting from June 1st, 2014.
Qualifications:

   - Master's degree
   - Fluency in English; command of German is appreciated
   - Research experience and an Internet research project of your own

Required application documents:

   - curriculum vitae
   - letter of motivation: explaining your interest in the fellowship, your
   expectations and your research background (1 page)
   - outline of a) your research project, b) the work you aim to conduct
   during the fellowship, c) contributions you plan to realise during your
   stay, d) projects on our research agenda that are of interest to you, and
   e) if possible, preferred project partners at our institute (altogether on
   a maximum of 3 pages)
   - optional: your latest publication or work sample covering Internet
   research (maximum of 1 paper / chapter / presentation in English or German)

Applications will only be accepted through our online application form
attached below. Closing date for applications is Monday, March 17 2014. Please
contact Jana Schudrowitz <http://www.hiig.de/staff/jana-schudrowitz-3/> with
any questions via application at hiig.de. You may apply
here<http://www.hiig.de/en/fellowship-2014-internet-society/>
.

--
[image: HIIG-Logo] <http://www.hiig.de> Constantin Hoferer
Alexander von Humboldt Institut für Internet und Gesellschaft gGmbH