[Air-L] Research of Facebook public groups

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Fri Feb 21 05:58:02 PST 2014

You might be interested in what we are doing with:

   https://www.facebook.com/groups/opengovgroup

I trolled deeply to find scores of open government, open data, smart
city, civic tech Facebook Groups around the world, many are listed
here:

http://pages.e-democracy.org/List_of_groups

And far more are here (mixed with other groups):
https://www.facebook.com/stevenlclift/groups

I then worked to promote this new global group as a space to connect
these many national/language based groups.

Because Facebook controls message distribution via News feed exposure,
the number of members are deceiving and at about 250 members, the
default notification switches from all new posts to new posts from
just your friends, these spaces can quickly become dormant. However,
some Facebook Groups really have a lot of life if they have continued
posting of new topics by an array of members.