[Air-L] Valentine's Day surprise: Paperback edition of Networked is out

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 14 12:41:30 PST 2014

The paperback edition of Networked: The New Social Operating System
(Rainie & Wellman) appeared for Valentine's Day. If you order one today, I
will sing to you the next time we meet (some may call this a negative
inducement.)

So I started exploring the pricing

http://www.amazon.com/Networked-New-Social-Operating-System/dp/0262526166/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1336500288

The Amazon.com pricing is intriguing.
Paperback: US$14.19
Hardcover: US$20.04 (up a buck from last week - you'd think they'd want to
clear out the Hards)
Kindle: US$16.33

Even more intrigue. The Canadian price is even cheaper than the US
Hardcover: Cdn $19.75; (aobut US$17.80)
Paperback: Cdn $13.68
But Kindle more expensive: $18.02
Given that the Cdn dollar is now about 90cents in US$, it is cheaper for
Canadians to order locally, but not for Americans to do so (shipping
costs).

UK harcover price, as always, is higher: L14.04 (US$23.50)
NO paperback yet
Kindle is: L12.64 (US$21) -- and of course, e-shipping is the same as in
the US and Canada

Japanese price is Y2853 for hardback (about US$28),with no pb listed.

BTW: There is a hard-hitting article in the current New Yorker about
Amazon's dealing with publishers.

   Barry Wellman

   NetLab                        FRSC                      INSNA Founder
   Faculty of Information (iSchool)                 611 Bissell Building
   140 St. George St.    University of Toronto    Toronto Canada M5S 3G6
                  NSA/CSEC: Canadian and American citizen
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39      Print $20  Kindle $16
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8