[Air-L] to add participants to your SNSs or not?

Roser Beneito Montagut rbeneito at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 07:43:41 PST 2014

Hello everybody,

We have just started an ethnography (online and offline) to study the
extent to which the social web can mitigate isolation and loneliness
feelings among the elderly by promoting their interpersonal relationships
online.

I appreciate if you can point me to articles discussing whether the
researcher has added the participants to his/her social network site (e.g.
Facebook) or has created an specific profile for the research. We have
decided to add the participants to our SNSs, creating a group for them, but
I would like to know what other researchers have done and the challenges of
this methodological decision they have faced.

Apologies beforehand if this topic has already been discussed in the list.

Thanks,

Roser

Roser Beneito-Montagut
Senior Lecturer
School of Computing, Multimedia and Telecommunication
Open University of Catalonia
Barcelona