[Air-L] DIY Revolution manifesto for open-access publishing

Işık Barış Fidaner fidaner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 15:17:23 PST 2014

IJŽS publish "DIY Revolution" manifesto for open-access publishing in the
humanities

Excerpt:
*"We can allow for and release Copernican revolution. That is, rather than
Ptolemizing print technology and culture by retrofitting existing models
and structures so that the previous paradigm continues to operate, we can
work to reconfigure the entire system. Instead of twisting, contorting, and
restricting the Internet so that it operates as some kind of digital
emulation of the printing press, we can recognize the truly revolutionary
potential of this technological innovation—direct peer-to-peer distribution
and access to information that operates without the established and
increasingly expensive intermediaries and gatekeepers. Understood in this
fashion, open access publishing can be positioned as a kind of
revolutionary transformation. It not only reconfigures the basic structure
of scholarly communication but deposes powerful authority figures and puts
everything on the line. This is obviously an enticing opportunity but there
are several challenges that go along with it."*

http://gunkelweb.com/articles/Gunkel_IJZS_DIY.pdf

In his facebook post containing a PDF link to this manifesto, David Gunkel (
niu.edu) described it as "a position paper concerning our experience at
IJZS and Zizek Studies" referring to his continued collaboration with Paul
Taylor (leeds.ac.uk) since 2007 in the peer-reviewed journal IJŽS and the
associated "Zizek Studies" discussion group on facebook with presently ~10k
members. He was sharing this document in anticipation of next week's Open
Access panel at the MLA (mla.org) convention in Chicago.

A few days prior to this manifesto, Vol 7.4 of IJŽS had been published and
announced**. Among the articles included in this volume is a
Žižekian-Lacanian analysis of the 2007 financial crisis, titled
"Capitalism's traumatic encounter with lack".