[Air-L] Final Deadline - Call for Papers -1984: Freedom and Censorship in the Media - Where Are We Now? [Reopened due to relocation]

Mark Mckenna mark.mckenna at research.sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Jan 13 06:36:52 PST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for cross posting.

Please circulate and distribute widely:

*1984: FREEDOM AND CENSORSHIP IN THE MEDIA – WHERE ARE WE NOW?*

*University of Sunderland – London Campus (23rd-24th April 2014)*

have decided to relocate the conference to the University of Sunderland’s
*London* Campus. The conference will now take place on the *23rd and
24th of April 2014*. In light the change in venue and dates, we are
reopening the call for papers. The new deadline for the submission of
abstracts is January 17th 2014.

The conference aims to examine censorship both nationally and
internationally and in all forms of media.

Selected papers will be published with a leading UK publisher in a
forthcoming edited collection based on the event.

*Confirmed keynote speakers*

Professor Martin Barker, University of East Anglia

Jerry Barnett, SexAndCensorship.org

Professor Julian Petley, Brunel University

Professor Clarissa Smith, University of Sunderland

In 2013 has raised concerns about new censorship measures. Jerry Barnett
has referred to it as ‘Internet Censorship 1.0’, It seems that 2014 is not
so far away from 1984 in terms of the social and political struggles for
the control of the media landscape. Censorship is still the currency of the
contemporary political discourse.

Worries over effects of media content and technologies are never far from
the headlines. When anxieties centre on protecting children and the
fortification of the social fabric, regulation often seems like the first
resort. The year 2014 will see the thirtieth anniversary of the 1984 Video
Recordings Act (VRA): this event offers the opportunity to reflect on how
and why concerns about individual media technologies and particular media
genres become so important that campaigners and politicians can claim that
‘the very soul of the nation’ is at stake. Using the VRA as a starting
point, this conference aims to critically examine the key issues in
politics and campaigning which shape calls for censorship. If new
technologies always spark old anxieties around ‘effects’ and propensities
to cause ‘harm’, what might we learn from extant legislation and their
implementation? As we settle into the internet age and media on demand,
policing national media borders seems ever more futile, yet the clamour for
legislation to protect children and society shows no signs of abating.

We invite submissions that explore issues relating to censorship which may
be specific to the history, implementation and legacies of the Video
Recordings Act but we also welcome papers which examine media
regulation/censorship in contemporaneous issues and their historical
antecedents. Their broader cultural contexts, which are national and
international in focus and which draw connections between

Suggested topics:

Censorship
Evolving practices and technologies of media classification and/or
censorship
‘Problematic’ media cultures
Regulation of representations of sex, gender and sexualities
Digital and online censorship
Oppositional voices
Protecting and questioning national borders
Campaigns and campaigners
Activism/activists and the political arena
International narratives of censorship
British regulation in a global context
National and international regulation/censorship
Documentary and avant-garde
Controversies around computer games
History of contemporary film censorship/classification
Audiences and the social experiences of censorship
Censorship and the creation of communities of dissent
Regulations and government policy

Proposals for individual papers or pre-constituted panels are welcomed. The
submission deadline is 17th January 2014 and notifications of acceptance
will be made by the 31st January 2014.

Proposals should include title, abstract (350 words), 3-5 key
bibliographical references, along with the name of the presenter,
institutional affiliation and biographical information (100 words), and
email.

Panel organizers are asked to submit panel proposals including a panel
title, a short description of the panel and information on all the papers
following the guidelines listed above.

Panels may consist of three speakers with a maximum of 20 minutes speaking
time each.

All submissions, expressions of interest and enquiries should be sent to:

admin at where-are-we-now.co.uk

Please see the conference website for more details:
www.where-are-we-now.co.uk