[Air-L] 2014 Summer Internship Program, Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Application Deadline Feb. 16

Rebecca Tabasky rtabasky at cyber.law.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 13 10:40:48 PST 2014

Hello,

The Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is
preparing to welcome another stellar crew of students to join us as
summer interns!

We are looking to engage a diverse group of students who are interested
in studying -- and changing the world through -- the Internet and new
communications technologies; who are driven, funny, and kind; and who
would like to join our amazing community in Cambridge this summer for 10
weeks of shared research and exchange.

Information about the summer program, eligibility, and links to the
application procedures can be found below and at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/internships_summer. *

The application deadline for all students for Summer 2014 is Sunday,
February 16, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. ET.**
*
Please share word of the opportunity to great candidates, and help us
continue developing our shared network of movers and shakers working to
advance scholarship with impact.

Best,
Becca

-----

*Berkman Center for Internet & Society*
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/internships_summer>*
Summer Internship Program 2014*

Each summer the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard
University swings open the doors of our vibrant yellow house to welcome
a group of talented and curious students as full-time interns
-Berkterns! <http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=berktern>-
who are passionate about the promise of the Internet. Finding connected
and complementary research inquiries among their diverse backgrounds,
students represent all levels of study, are being trained in disciplines
across the board, and come from universities all over the world to
tackle issues related to the core of Berkman's research agenda,
including law, technology, innovation, and knowledge; the relationships
between Internet and civic activity; and the intersection of technology,
learning, and development. Summer interns jump head first into the swirl
of the Berkman universe, where they are deeply and substantively
involved in our research projects and efforts.

Becoming invaluable contributors to the Center's operation and success,
interns conduct collaborative and independent research under the
guidance of Berkman staff, fellows, and faculty. Specific roles, tasks,
and experiences vary depending on Center needs and interns' skills; a
select list of expected opportunities for Summer 2014 is below.
Typically, the workload of each intern is primarily based under one
project or suite of projects, with encouragement and flexibility to get
involved in additional projects across the Center.

In addition to joining research teams, summer interns participate in
special lectures with Berkman Center faculty and fellows, engage each
other through community experiences like weekly interns discussion
hours, and attend Center-wide events and gatherings with members of the
wider Berkman community. As well, each year interns establish new
channels for fun and learning, such as organizing topical debates;
establishing reading groups and book clubs; producing podcasts and
videos; and hosting potlucks, cook-offs, and BBQs (fortunately for us,
people share).

The word "awesome" has been thrown around to describe our internships,
but don't take our word for it.  Interns Royze Adolfo and Hilda Barasa
documented the summer 2012 internship experience here
<http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/berkmancentersummer2012/>.  Former intern
Zack McCune had this to say
<http://thames2thayer.com/blog/in-the-spirit-of-the-the-olympics-how-i-learned-to-row-from-an-olympic-all-star/#more-39>:
"it has been an enchanting summer working at the berkman center for
internet & society.  everyday, i get to hang out with some of the most
brilliant people on the planet. we talk, we write (emails), we blog, we
laugh, we play rock band. and when things need to get done, we stay late
hyped on free coffee and leftover food. it is a distinct honor to be
considered a peer among such excellent people. and i am not just talking
about the fellows, staff, and faculty, though they are all outstanding.
no, i mean my peers as in my fellow interns, who are almost definitely
the ripening next generation of changemakers."

***Time Commitment:*
Summer internships are full time positions (35 hours/week) for 10 weeks.
**The Summer 2014 program will run from June 2 through August 8.***

Payment:*
Interns are paid $11.50 an hour, with the exception of a number of
opportunities for law students who are expected to receive some version
of summer public interest funding (more about these specific cases at
the link for law students below).

Please be forewarned that payment may not be sufficient to cover living
expenses in the Boston area. No other benefits are provided, and interns
must make their own housing, insurance and transportation arrangements.*

Commitment to Diversity:*
The work and well-being of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at
Harvard University are strengthened profoundly by the diversity of our
network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national
origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We actively seek
and welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA
community, and persons with disabilities, as well as applications from
researchers and practitioners from across the spectrum of disciplines
and methods.*

Eligibility:*

  * Internships are open to students enrolled across the full spectrum
    of disciplines.
  * Internships are open to students at different levels of academic
    study including those in bachelor's, master's, law, and Ph.D
    programs (some flexibility with high school students is possible).
  * Summer interns do not need to be U.S. residents or in school in the
    U.S.; indeed, we encourage international students to apply.
  * Summer interns do not need an existing affiliation with Harvard
    University.**

*To Apply:*
We know what you're thinking. /Yes please. I want that. That sounds
magical.  Did I mention that I have incredible dance moves
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQbFqH6D4g>//?/ Here's what you should
do...*
*

*Law students:*please find application instructions and important
additional information here <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/7314>.

*Students from disciplines other than law:*please find more information
and application instructionshere <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/7315>.*
*

Required application materials for all include:

  * A cover letter describing your skills and interests. When developing
    your cover letter, you may wish to consider the following questions:
    What has led you to pursue research with the Berkman Center and the
    issues we study? What would you like to gain from working with us
    this summer, and what will you contribute? How do you think the
    experience might influence your future efforts? Please feel welcome
    to address these and/or other topics you would like to share with
    us. Cover letters should be addressed to Nancy
    <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/nancy>.
  * A current resume.
  * The contact information for two references (professional or academic).

*The application deadline for all students for Summer 2014 is Sunday,
February 16, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. ET.**
*

We look forward to hearing from you!

Questions?  Check out our FAQ <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/8133>,
and if you have a question not addressed there, email Rebecca Tabasky at
rtabasky at cyber.law.harvard.edu <mailto:rtabasky at cyber.law.harvard.edu>.

----

*Select Expected Summer 2014 Opportunities: *

/Chilling Effects/
Summer interns working for Chilling Effects will work on a range of
assignments, including: writing blog posts, updating news and research
resources for on-site publication; helping with managing and curating
the database, including coding metadata and working with source partners
to facilitate the ingestion and processing of notices; working on
domestic and international collaboration initiatives; event planning and
management; and working on research and writing projects centered on the
database corpus, either internally or in collaboration with external
researchers.   Applicants with coding skills in Ruby and Postgres will
have opportunities to work with the new Chilling Effects site. More
information about Chilling Effects is at http://www.chillingeffects.org/.

/CopyrightX/
CopyrightX is a networked course---not a true MOOC---that the Berkman
Center has helped to produce during each of the past two years. The
course, offered under the auspices of Harvard Law School, HarvardX
<http://harvardx.harvard.edu>, and Berkman, explores the current law of
copyright and the ongoing debates concerning how that law should be
reformed. Through a combination of pre-recorded lectures, weekly
seminars, live webcasts, and online discussions, participants in the
course examine and assess the ways in which law seeks to stimulate and
regulate creative expression.  Many activities fall under the umbrella
of "producing" CopyrightX, including refining the pedagogical model,
analyzing course data, vetting and choosing the technology that supports
the course (which extends to improving existing tools and creating new
ones), and generally ensuring that the course team is up to date on the
latest currents in digital learning, blended learning, and online higher
education. Law students strongly interested in copyright law and/or
pedagogy, who are also excited about delving into the mixed suite of
activities mentioned above, are highly encouraged to apply. Several
other kinds of talents and interests would be a good fits, too,
including education research skills and web development (with an
interest in or openness to edu-tech). Find more at http://copyx.org.

/Cyberlaw Clinic/
The Cyberlaw Clinic provides high-quality, pro-bono legal services to
individuals, start-ups, non-profit organizations, and government
entities. Every summer, clinic interns contribute to a wide range of
real-world projects related to the Internet and technology. Interns may
help the Clinic team provide guidance on open access, digital copyright,
and fair use issues; support advocacy efforts to protect online speech
and anonymity; develop legal resources for citizen journalists and new
media organizations; advise courts on innovative uses of technology to
increase citizens' access to justice; or draft reference documents and
training materials for educators on children's privacy and online
safety. Interns in the Cyberlaw Clinic can expect direct hands-on
experience working with clients under the supervision of the Clinic's
staff attorneys. More information about the Cyberlaw Clinic can be found
athttp://cyberlawclinic.berkman.harvard.edu.

/Digital Media and Communications Squad/
The intern with Berkman's digital media and communications squad will
have a chance to use a number of video and audio production resources to
tell the world about the amazing Internet research and action coming out
of Berkman. This intern will be chiefly responsible for helping to
create the Radio Berkman audio podcast
<https://soundcloud.com/radioberkman>, but will also play a role in
producing video (like these
<http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68azUN8PTNhRvFhAVoboM1NY8_AiKUj4>).
  On any given day you could be interviewing a senior Berkman researcher
or guest <https://soundcloud.com/radioberkman/rb211-bruce-schneier-on>,
helping to produce a dynamic video explainer on Internet censorship
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwn4fRpIr8g&list=PL68azUN8PTNhRvFhAVoboM1NY8_AiKUj4&index=5>,
or digging up astonished cat GIFs to accompany a blog post about the
latest NSA-leak revelations. This intern should have: (1) experience
with audio editing software (Logic, Soundtrack, Audacity, Soundbooth, or
other); (2) excellent writing skills; and (3) enthusiasm and an open
mind for creating and executing fun ideas. Useful but not mandatory:
experience in video production/editing, Photoshop/Illustrator,
animation, social media management, Wordpress/Drupal platforms.

/Digital Media Law Project/
Summer interns at the Digital Media Law Project will work on a wide
range of legal research and writing projects relating to media law,
intellectual property, and the intersection of journalism and the
internet. In past years, interns have updated theLegal Guide
<http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide>to media law topics, developed
entries for thedatabase of threats
<http://www.citmedialaw.org/database>against online publishers,
commented on current issues in law and media on theblog
<http://www.citmedialaw.org/blog>, and provided research and drafting
assistance onamicus briefs
<http://www.citmedialaw.org/about/cmlp-amicus-efforts>. Interns may also
be asked to assist with the operation and expansion of theOnline Media
Legal Network <http://www.omln.org/>, an attorney referral service for
digital publishers, and with other projects that the DMLP undertakes in
conjunction with its partner organizations around the world. More
information on can be found on the DMLP website at
http://www.dmlp.org/about/summer-internships.

/Digital Problem-Solving Initiative/
The Digital Problem-Solving Initiative
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/dpsi>(DPSI) is a University-wide,
highly-collaborative project that begun as a pilot in Spring 2013 to
offer Harvard students the opportunity to strengthen their digital
competencies by learning and working in small interdisciplinary teams of
faculty, staff members, and students from across the University on
practicable use cases of digital problem solving. The DPSI pilot has
prototyped an open and collaborative model in which students work with
mentors at the University, engage with real use cases in a range of
areas, generate tangible and useful outputs, and inform the development
of DPSI overall. Past use cases have concerned diverse topics like
innovation spaces, museums/technology-enhanced curatorial practices, big
data, institutional uses of social media, and online organizational
identity-building. (See an example of innovation spaces here
<http://dpsipilot.tumblr.com/day/2014/01/6/>).   DPSI interns will
support the Berkman team in assessing the 13-14 DPSI pilot and planning
for the program's future expansion. Work may include outreach across the
University and schools, interaction with faculty, staff, and students,
event planning, report writing, and general creative thinking and
brainstorming. Compelling candidates could be interested in and/or
excited about any of the topics mentioned above, as well as innovation
at universities and within education, design, student entrepreneurship,
team building and collaboration, interdisciplinarity and technology.
Most importantly, candidates should be creative, independent thinkers,
strong communicators, and team players.  For more information, visit
http://dpsipilot.tumblr.com/.

/Freedom of Expression/
The Berkman Center's suite of freedom of expression-related projects,
including Internet Monitor, Herdict, and others, is seeking a small team
of interns to conduct research on Internet filtering, monitoring, and
control efforts around the globe; engage in related data gathering
efforts using online sources; contribute to report writing; blog
regularly about issues concerning online freedom of expression; and
manage various projects' Twitter and Facebook accounts.  In the past,
interns have also supported research on blogospheres and other online
communities around the world, contributed to literature reviews, and
hand coded online content.  Foreign language skills, particularly in
Persian, Arabic, Russian, and Chinese, are useful.  More information
about some of Berkman's work on freedom of expression can be found at
the following links:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/internetmonitor;
http://www.herdict.org/web/.

/Geek Cave/
Interns joining the Geek Cave may extend open source software, build
scalable websites, or manage the mixed desktop network that keeps the
Center moving. Our team works with ruby, perl, php, bash, jQuery,
PostgreSQL, MySQL and a slew of other tools.  We have a small group of
talented, devoted, fun, full-time developers on staff that can help hone
your 1337 coding skillz as well provide fun projects to pair code or
geek out on; two project managers to help you keep your work on track;
and hardware and software support to help deploy your projects on
Berkman infrastructure. More info about the projects that we work on can
be found on our github organization page athttp://github.com/berkmancenter.

/Internet Governance/
The Berkman Center seeks a team of interns to do research and planning
around multistakeholder models for Internet governance and recent
related events on the global landscape
<http://blog.icann.org/2013/11/icanns-mandate-to-preserve-and-enhance-multistakeholder-internet-cooperation/>.
On the heels of the announcement from Brazilian President Dilma Roussef
and ICANN <http://www.icann.org/>(Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers) of a high-level commission charged with investigating
different modes of Internet governance
<https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-17nov13-en.htm>as
well as a large conference to take place in São Paolo, Brazil, in April
<http://rt.com/news/brazil-internet-summit-fight-nsa-006/>to explore
different findings, Berkman --- in collaboration with its international
partners --- plans to contribute to the academic debate with literature
reviews, briefing documents, expert opinions, and workshops. Internet
governance interns will work closely with Professor Urs Gasser and
Research Director Rob Faris and should be adept researchers and
communicators interested in international relations and Internet
policy.  For more information on the unfolding debate around Internet
governance, see "The Internet Governance Project,"
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/>articles in CircleID
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20131220_the_panel_on_the_future_of_global_internet_cooperation/>,
and 1net.org <http://1net.org/>, the public-facing website and
discussion forum for the panel on the future of Internet governance.

/Internet Robustness - Software Development/
The intern for the Internet Robustness project will work to extend open
source development for software that makes (you guessed it) the Internet
more robust and resilient to attacks and disappearing content. Our
Robustness software is written in Lua, with a little bit of php and C,
but we're interested in anyone who wants to help code our way to a
better Web. The Internet Robustness software development intern will
also work closely with theBerkman Center's Geek Cave <about:blank>and
have opportunities for paired development on other spiffy projects.
  Read more about the project at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/internetrobustness.

/Harvard Open Access Project (HOAP)/
HOAP fosters open access (OA) to research within Harvard and beyond,
undertakes research on OA, and provides OA to timely and accurate
information about OA itself. HOAP interns may enlarge the Open Access
Directory (OAD), a wiki-based encyclopedia of OA, help with ongoing OA
research projects, or contribute to the Open Access Tracking Project
(OATP), a social-tagging project organizing knowledge about OA. They
might also help document and promote TagTeam, a HOAP-directed
open-source tagging platform built at Berkman to support OATP. More
information about HOAP can be found
at:http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/hoap/Main_Page.

/Media Cloud - Research and Technical Development/
Media Cloud <http://mediacloud.org/>, a joint project of the Berkman
Center and theMIT Center for Civic Media <http://civic.mit.edu/>, seeks
summer interns to contribute to our team's effort to build new tools and
methods that allow us to study and better analyze the shape and dynamics
of thenetworked public sphere
<http://www.benkler.org/Benkler_Wealth_Of_Networks_Chapter_7.pdf>.Research
interns with Media Cloud will contribute to the research, data
collection, and synthesis of case studies developed as part of the
Controversy Mapping tool, which allows researchers to use the Media
Cloud platform's data collection and network visualization tools to map
the evolution of a particular public affair, debate, or policy
conversation (such as controversies related to theSOPA/PIPA
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/publications/2013/social_mobilization_and_the_networked_public_sphere>debate,Trayvon
Martin <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeDDdN8NW_o>, NSA, and
more).Technical development interns with Media Cloud will help to extend
and improve the project's features.  We are looking for developers
interested in online media research, big data, and natural language
processing.  More information about Media Cloud is available at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/mediacloudand you can see the
project in action athttp://www.mediacloud.org.

/metaLAB/
metaLAB is a research and teaching unit dedicated to exploring and
expanding the frontiers of networked culture in the arts and humanities.
In summer 2014, an intern will help us to produce a workshop in digital
art history involving scholars, developers, and designers from across
the country, which takes place at the end of June. In the balance of the
summer, the intern's time will be split between Teaching with Things, an
initiative to explore the use of multimedia to document, annotate, and
remix objects in Harvard's libraries and museums for teaching; and a
project documenting urban ecology. These projects will call upon
writing, media, and design skills, and will furnish opportunities for
learning across such varied domains as ethnography, editing, and
software development. Some time will be spent outdoors in summer
weather, likely in forested urban settings.  More about metaLAB is
available at http://metalab.harvard.edu/.

/Online Intermediaries///
The Berkman Center, in conjunction with the Network of Interdisciplinary
Research Centers for Internet & Society
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/network_of_centers>, is taking
the lead on a multi-year research project intended to produce several
policy-oriented studies of online intermediaries in a range of
international contexts. The overarching focus will be areas of
convergence and disagreement regarding the liability and responsibility
of online intermediaries, and the ways in which the liability to which
they are subject influences their ultimate success or failure.  Summer
interns working on this effort may be asked to help curate and expand a
shared repository of materials for the projects research groups,
research and edit country case studies and use cases, create a
synthesizing white paper, and coordinate efforts with partners and
colleagues.

/Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data/
The Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data project is a collaboration
between three Harvard institutions - the Center for Research on
Computation & Society (CRCS) <http://crcs.seas.harvard.edu/>at the
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, the Institute for
Quantitative Social Science (IQSS) <http://www.iq.harvard.edu/>, and the
Berkman Center.  The project seeks to develop computational and legal
methods, tools, and policies to further the tremendous value that can
come from collecting, analyzing, and sharing data while more fully
protecting the privacy of individuals whose information resides within
large data sets. The Berkman Center's role in this collaboration is to
identify shortcomings in legislation and policy, and to create legal
instruments that complement the new technical approaches to privacy
being developed by our collaborators in the project.   The Berkman team
is looking for rising second and third-year law students to help with
research and analysis on privacy law and policy issues.  Summer interns
may conduct research and write memoranda on selected topics in law,
draft data sharing agreements, aid in the development of new conceptual
models for privacy legislation, summarize recent publications in
professional journals, and attend lectures and events with the larger
project team.  Other opportunities to participate in project activities
may arise during the summer.  More information about the project can be
found on the Privacy Tools project website at
http://privacytools.seas.harvard.edu/.

/Student Privacy Initiative/
The Berkman Center's Student Privacy Initiative explores the
opportunities and challenges that may arise as educational institutions
consider adopting cloud computing technologies. As we conduct our
research, we are engaging multiple stakeholders-- from district
officials to policymakers to industry members to teachers, parents, and
students--to develop shared good practices that promote positive
educational outcomes, harness technological and pedagogical innovations,
and protect critical values. Summer interns will be asked to work across
three overlapping clusters: Privacy Expectations & Attitudes, School
Practices & Policies, and Law & Policy, interfacing internally with the
Cyberlaw Clinic as well as the Youth and Media Project. In addition to
ongoing research tasks, summer interns might help to draft research
briefs, white papers, and website updates, as well as to coordinate with
and engage external organizations working in the K-12 edtech innovation
space. More information is available at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/studentprivacy.

/Youth and Media/
During a summer at Youth and Media <http://youthandmedia.org//>, summer
interns will contribute to various research, advocacy, and development
initiatives around youth and technology. By understanding young people's
interactions with digital media such as the Internet, cell phones, and
video games, this highly collaborative project aims to gain detailed
insights into youth practices and digital fluencies, harness the
associated opportunities, address challenges, and ultimately shape the
evolving regulatory and educational framework in a way that advances the
public interest.  For 2014, we are looking for candidates with strong
academic training and experience in qualitative research methods to
assist with designing, conducting, and analyzing focus group and
one-on-one interviews around topics of privacy, information quality and
health information, youth use of the Internet in developing countries,
and new ways of learning. We would also consider candidates with
expertise in these areas to conduct background research and write
literature reviews.  Additionally, we are looking for summer interns who
can help us create interesting and innovative ways to help conceptualize
some of the data we have collected for our current research project
aroundyouth and privacy
<http://youthandmedia.org/youth-and-online-privacy/>. An example of a
previous report (and accompanyinginfographic
<http://youthandmedia.org/files/2012/02/YaM-From-Credibility-to-Information-Quality_Info-Graphic_02202012_FINAL1.jpg>)
on information quality can be foundhere
<http://youthandmedia.org/projects/information-quality/>. Applicant must
be professional, proactive, and have strong graphic design skills;
please be prepared to submit a sample of your portfolio.  More
information about Youth and Media can be found at: www.youthandmedia.org
<http://www.youthandmedia.org/>.  See what past Youth and Media interns
said about their time at Berkman here
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT9RcdbDaCs&list=PL823EFB31F6790E2C&index=6>.

/Special Projects - Jonathan Zittrain/
Summer interns will work on a variety of projects undertaken by
Professor Jonathan Zittrain, assisting in a variety of research areas
(e.g. human computing, linkrot and internet robustness, platforms, and
Internet filtering). Summer contributions include research for
conferences and presentations; brainstorming article outlines;
fact-checking materials; and reviewing original article or paper drafts.
This position requires the ability to find, absorb, critically analyze,
and debate large amounts of written and other media materials from
sources including scholarly articles, news articles and blogs, and
interviews with public policymakers. This intern position is ideally
suited for students or others who would like to get a deeper
understanding of academic research and the broader world of Internet
law.  More information about JZ's research can be found at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/jzittrainand at http://www.jz.org/.