[Air-L] Seeking item batteries, measurements, empirical tools etc. concerning (online) research ethics

Nele Heise nele.heise at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 16 11:40:18 PST 2014

Ahoi,

you wonderful list-people: I'm writing to you today because I need your
help regarding a survey on online research ethics.

The debate about the ethical dilemmas, challenges, responsibilities etc. in
online-based research is going on for many years (and is constantly
re-freshed with new research possibilities such as big data ...).
Nevertheless, we do not have too much information about how researchers
deal with these questions, how they negotiate new standards or in how far
they consider ethical questions in their everyday practices at all. In this
context, an explorative interview study - which I carried out with 17
Internet researchers in 2010 - revealed some interesting aspects and I
always wanted to do something with a wider scale on this topic. This year I
finally have the chance to carry out a survey with Internet researchers in
Germany/German speaking countries due to a (small) funding by the German
Association of Online Researchers. At the moment, I am starting to work on
the questionnaire - and here's my question to you:

Can you recommend any item batteries, surveys, measurements etc. concerning
(online) research ethics? I am aware of several documents such as the AoIR
guidelines, McKee/Porter's book and so forth, but I cannot recall any
empirical work (maybe M. Zimmer's survey on Twitter research?). Your
suggestions - no matter from which research disciplines - would be really
really helpful!

Although the survey is limited to German-speaking countries, the results
might also be interesting for researchers in other countries. So, if the
whole thing is successful (and even if it's not) I'll gladly share the
outcomes with y'all :-)

Many thanks and "Tschüss" from Hamburg,

Nele

--