[Air-L] [CITASA] Technology in "unusual" places

Jen McCalister jenmccalister at live.com
Sat Jan 25 10:05:13 PST 2014

Thank you guys a lot for all the brilliant recommendations. I did a little "dig around"  and found some insightful and interesting pieces. I thought I'd share them with you:

Nemer, D.(2013). Materializing digital inequalities: the digital artifacts of the marginalized in Brazil. In Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Information and Communications Technologies and Development: Notes-Volume 2 (pp. 108-111). ACM.

Nemer, D., Reed, P. (2013). Can a Community Technology Center be For-Profit? A case study of LAN Houses in Brazil. In Proceedings of the CIRN 2013 Community Informatics Conference. Prato, Italy.

Vargas, J. H. C. (2006). When a Favela Dared to Become a Gated Condominium The Politics of Race and Urban Space in Rio de Janeiro. Latin American Perspectives, 33(4), 49-81.

Zagal, J. P., & Bruckman, A. (2005). From samba schools to computer clubhouses: Cultural institutions as learning environments. Convergence, 11(1), 88-105.

Dent, A. S. (2012). Piracy, circulatory legitimacy, and neoliberal subjectivity in Brazil. Cultural Anthropology, 27(1), 28-49.

http://www.psych.lse.ac.uk/undergroundsociabilities/index.php