[Air-L] Help with Social Media Class Development

Stephanie Vie ondiney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 13:48:39 PST 2014

Hi Franklin,

I am teaching a masters-level class right now on social media and
professional writing. For our core texts, we're reading Van Dijk, The
Network Society; Qualman, Socialnomics (a popular press book); and
Kadushin, Understanding Social Networks.

A few articles that we'll be using:

Briones et al., Keeping Up With the Digital Age: How the American Red Cross
Uses Social Media to Build Relationships
Cockerill, Exploring Social Media Obstacles and Opportunities within Public
Agencies: Lessons from the Ohio Division of Wildlife
Zhang et al., Creepy but Inevitable? The Evolution of Social Networking
Lewis et al., Analysis of Student Privacy Settings
Penney and Dadas, (Re)Tweeting in the Service of Protest
Waters and Jamal, Tweet, Tweet, Tweet: A Content Analysis of Nonprofit
Organizations’ Twitter Updates
Reiners and Alexander, Social Network Perception Alignment of E-recruiters
and Potential Applicants
Skeels and Grudin, When Social Networks Cross Boundaries: A Case Study of
Workplace Use of Facebook and LinkedIn
Baumer et al., Limiting, Leaving, and (Re)Lapsing
Read Sheldon, Profiling the Non-Users

I'm interested to see what others are using as well.

Stephanie

-----

Dr. Stephanie Vie
Associate Professor of Writing and Rhetoric
Department of Writing and Rhetoric
University of Central Florida
Reviews Co-Editor, Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy