[Air-L] Soliciting opinions about using Amazon's Mechanical Turk (aka Mturk) for survey participant recruitment

Seda Gurses seda at nyu.edu
Thu Jan 9 09:31:12 PST 2014

hi,

i believe there are also ethical concerns. i am not sure if this is what you were also asking about but i hope they are nevertheless useful.

on orientalist underpinnings of the concept and labor issues:
“Return of The Crowds: Mechanical Turk and Neoliberal States of Exception” in Digital Labor:The Internet as Playground and Factory. Ed. Trebor Scholz, Routledge, 2012.

last year some researchers raised concerns about anonymity and irb issues related to using amazon mechanical turk:
 Blog post: http://crowdresearch.org/blog/?p=5177
Paper: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2228728

i also remember hearing about an amazon turk workers union that demanded better wages and better working conditions.
here is a paper on a tool that was designed to support the process:
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lirani/Irani-Silberman-Turkopticon-camready.pdf
and another article with respect to the problem with the labor conditions created by amazon and other similar crowdsourcing services:
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/the-unregulated-work-of-mechanical-turk/?_r=0

i am not sure if any of the ethical and labor related issues have been addressed over the last months and what ethical questions these raise for using mechanical turk in studies.
i am sure there are others on this list who have a lot more to say.
good luck!
s.