[Air-L] Research of Facebook public groups

Pask-Hughes, Alexander a.pask-hughes at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jan 23 12:48:26 PST 2014

Hi Ruth,

I imagine you'll have likely come across these and not all look at Facebook, but I think they're probably relevant discourse-analytic examples, with a focus beyond self and identity:

Burke & Goodman (2012) "Bring back Hitler's gas chambers": Asylum seeking, Nazis and Facebook - A discursive analysis. D&S 23(1).

Goodman & Rowe (2014) "Maybe it is prejudice... but it is NOT racism": Negotiating racism in discussion forums about Gypsies. D&S 25(1).

Shaikjee & Milani (2013) "It's time for Afrikaans to go"... or not? Language ideologies and (ir)rationality in the blogosphere. Language Matters 44(2).

Aside from these, there's the research from Todd Graham and Scott Wright (including the EU cyberspace paper with Ruth Wodak), although that's probably veering too far away from both Facebook and discourse analysis.

I was sure someone archived the Thatcher tweets as well...

Alexander David Pask-Hughes

PhD student
Seminar Tutor for LING204: Discourse Analysis

Department of Linguistics and English Language
Lancaster University

E-mail: a.pask-hughes at lancaster.ac.uk