[Air-L] Extension - CFP - First Death Online Research Symposium

Lisbeth Klastrup klastrup at itu.dk
Thu Jan 2 05:07:24 PST 2014

Dear all,

The deadline for submissions to the First Death Online Research Symposium
has now been extended to January 10th!
So there is still chance to submit a proposal (400 words).  See full CFP
below for more information.

On behalf of the organising committee,

Lisbeth Klastrup

IT University of Copenhagen

CALL FOR PAPERS

First Death Online Research Symposium

April 9th and 10th, 2014

Center for Life and Death Studies

University of Durham, England

As digital media have become an integral part of our everyday life, so have
also death and our afterlife become inextricably interwoven with technology.
Marking the formation of the international research network Death Online
Research, this first Death Online Research Symposium will focus on current
research into the digital mediation of dying, death, mourning and personal
legacy, in order to explore and discuss how online connectivity is changing
how, when and where we engage with death.

Confirmed keynote speaker at the symposium will be Professor Tony Walters,
Director of the Centre for Death and Society at the University of Bath.

For the symposium, we invite presentations of ongoing or recently completed
research within the following areas:  memorial sites online; explorations of
new ways of grieving though social media;  the use of mobile technologies in
graveyards;  and the discussion of pertinent problems related to the digital
afterlife and people's digital inheritance.  In addition, we welcome other
relevant perspectives on the impact digital technology has on everyday
practices in the context of death in the 21st century.

We expect papers to be presented in either one or two tracks, pending on the
number of submissions. All submissions will be peer-reviewed, and we expect
select papers to be published in an recognised peer-reviewed journal.

Submission format:  400 word abstract

Submission deadline:  January 10th, 2014

Submission feedback: January 22nd, 2014

All submissions and enquiries should be sent to:
<mailto:deathonline at itu.dk> deathonline at itu.dk marked "Death Online
Symposium Submission" in the subject field.

Papers will be reviewed by an international committee consisting of:

Professor Steve Jones, University of Illinois at Chicago, US

Dr. Tim Hutchings, University of Durham, England

Associate Professor Lisbeth Klastrup, IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark

Associate Professor Dorthe Refslund Christensen, University of Aarhus,
Denmark

Stay updated on the symposium and read more about the network, including how
to join, at  <http://www.deathonlineresearch.net>
www.deathonlineresearch.net.