[Air-L] Call for proposals - Panel on language aggression and conflict

Pilar Garces pilar_garces at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 11 04:10:24 PST 2014

Dear colleagues,

In the context of the 9th International Conference on (Im)Politeness, which will be held at the University of Huddersfield (9 – 11 July 2014), we are organizing an invited panel on the language aggression and conflict.

Language studies have for years tended to concentrate on the analysis of harmonious interactions. However, more recently, the study of acrimonious interaction has started gathering momentum. We would like to invite contributions that explore the language of aggression and conflict from various perspectives, such as pragmatic, discursive, sociolinguistic, cultural and cognitive, and focus on but are not restricted to the following areas:

- Language aggression and conflict among family members
- Language aggression and conflict in work/academic settings
- Language aggression and conflict in political discourse
- Language aggression and conflict in the (digital) media.
- Language aggression and conflict in inter/cross cultural communication
- Language aggression and conflict in service encounters
- Language aggression, conflict and identity
- Gender differences in language aggression and conflict
- Emotional communication and conflict

Please send your (300-word) abstracts to the organizers:
Pilar Garcés Blitvich (pgblitvi at uncc.edu) and Maria Sifianou (msifian at enl.uoa.gr)
by February 15, 2014. You will be notified of the reviewers’ decision by the end of February 2014.

Please disseminate this information among any colleagues you think might be interested.

With best wishes,

Pilar and Maria

Co-Editors in Chief – Journal of Language Aggression and Conflict
http://benjamins.com/#catalog/journals/jlac