[Air-L] Reminder: Emerging Scholar Network 2014 IAMCR conference in Hyderabad

Julia Pohle jpohle at vub.ac.be
Fri Jan 31 07:04:57 PST 2014

Dear all

With this a friendly reminder for our *Call for Papers for the Emerging
Scholars Network Section at the upcoming 2014 IAMCR conference* in
Hyderabad (India).
The deadline for abstracts is *10 February*.

Internet-related papers of early-stage researchers and 'work in
progress' presentations are particularly welcome.

Please feel free to distribute the call widely!

Kind regards,
Julia

---

    IAMCR 2014: Emerging Scholars Network Section - CfP - Deadline 10
    February

The Emerging Scholars Network (ESN) welcomes submissions for the Annual
Conference of the International Association for Media and Communication
Research (IAMCR) to be held at the Hyderabad International Convention
Center (HICC) on *July 15-19, 2014* in Hyderabad, India.

We invite you to submit abstracts (250- 300 words) of your research
papers. We welcome submissions on a variety of topics pertinent to
communication and media studies research. We also encourage submissions
that address this year's conference theme /Region as Frame: Politics,
Presence, Practice/.  For more information on this year's conference
theme, please refer to the conference theme webpage at
http://iamcr2014.org/conference-theme/. If you are submitting a work in
progress, we welcome your submission! Please state that it is a work in
progress in your abstract.

The deadline for submission of abstracts is*February 10, 2014* via the
*Open Conference System (OSC)* at http://iamcr-ocs.org
<http://iamcr-ocs.org/>. Submissions must include author name(s),
affiliation, address, e-mail address, and paper title. Please note that
this deadline will not be extended. The OCS opens on *December 1st, 2013
and closes on February 10, 2014*. Early submission is strongly encouraged.

Please note that individuals may submit 1 abstract (paper) per Section
or Working Group as lead author, and a maximum of 2 abstracts (papers)
to a single IAMCR conference in general. Please be aware that the same
abstract or another version with minor variations in title or content
must not be submitted to ESN and other Section or Working Group for
consideration. Such submissions will be deemed to be in breach of the
conference guidelines and will be automatically rejected by the Open
Conference System, by the relevant Head or by the Conference Program
Reviewer. Such applicants also risk being entirely removed from the
conference program.

Decisions on acceptance of abstracts will be communicated to individual
applicants by the Section co-chairs on*March 24, 2014*. For those whose
abstracts are accepted, full conference papers are to be submitted via
the *IAMCR OCS* <http://iamcr-ocs.org/> by *June 20, 2014*.

Please also take a look at our suggestions on how to write an abstract
at http://www.iamcr.org/src-home-about/633-src-home-about.

      About ESN

ESN is a section dedicated to the work and careers of emerging scholars
in the field of media studies and communication. Therefore, we
especially look for works in progress from graduate students and new
university instructors/professors who are interested in substantial
feedback and comments intended to advance their projects.

The ESN organizes emerging scholar panels and joint panels with other
sections. Our emerging scholar panels provide a comfortable environment
for the presentation of theses and works in progress, where emerging
scholars can receive feedback from colleagues also at the beginning of
their careers and from senior scholars who act as respondents to
individual papers.

In line with the purpose of our section, the ESN also organizes panels
and special sessions about issues affecting emerging scholars, such as:

  *

    Publishing research results;

  *

    Mentoring and the Student-mentor relationship;

  *

    Academic work and academic jobs;

  *

    Neoliberalism in the academy;

  *

    Language barriers in academia.

These panels often feature conversations between senior scholars,
emerging scholars, and/or practitioners of media and communication
professions.

Further announcements on panels and events on such topics, and practical
information on the ESN mentorship programme, will follow over the coming
months. For further information, please do not hesitate to contact the
section co-chairs Francesca Musiani ( francesca.musiani at gmail.com
<mailto:francesca.musiani at gmail.com>) and Sandra Ristovska (
sristovska at asc.upenn.edu <mailto:sristovska at asc.upenn.edu>).

      Special Call:

As part of a joint IAMCR effort to engage with international debates
around communication and social transformations in the digital age, ESN
welcomes papers that are related to the *World Summit on the Information
Society +10*. *ESN* and *IAMCR Communication Policy Task Force*
organized a successful session on WSIS+10 at the annual meeting in
Dublin last year. Therefore, the section provides another platform for
emerging scholars to present on WSIS related topics.These may include

 1.

    thematic assessments of what has been achieved in the past 10 years
    in specific areas mentioned in the official WSIS documents;

 2.

    critical analysis of controversial aspects of information societies
    expected to inform the WSIS+10 debates;

 3.

    research outlining either core concepts, such as
    sustainable knowledge societies, or methodological aspects, such as
    indicators.

The selected papers may be profiled and included (upon the authors'
approval) in a global database - www.globalmediapolicy.net
<http://www.globalmediapolicy.net> - as a contribution of the IAMCR
scholarly community to the WSIS+10 process and debate.

For further information, please do not hesitate to contact the section
co-chairs Francesca Musiani (francesca.musiani[at]gmail.com) and Sandra
Ristovska (sristovska[at]asc.upenn.edu).

      The deadlines are as follows:

  First call for abstracts (for papers and panels)

Open Computer System (OCS) available for abstract submission at
http://iamcr-ocs.org <http://iamcr-ocs.org/>

OCS closed

11- 20 February 2014

Initial technical review of submissions (review process by Sections and
WGs will start after this)

Notification of acceptances of abstracts

Confirmation of participation deadline

Deadline for early bird registration

Final conference programme

Conference programme to be published online

Deadline for full paper submission

15-19 July 2014

IAMCR Conference

        Emerging Scholars Network Section:

*Chairs*:
Francesca Musiani
francesca.musiani[at]gmail.com

Sandra Ristovska
sristovska[at]asc.upenn.edu

*Julia Pohle* | Researcher

*SMIT, Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication*
iMinds - Digital Society
Vrije Universiteit Brussel

Julia.Pohle at vub.ac.be
office: +32 2 614 8552
mobile: +32 488 596721
Pleinlaan 9 | 1050 Brussels | Belgium
http://smit.vub.ac.be

*Emerging Scholar Network - International Association for Media and
Communication Research (**ESN - IAMCR)*
Communication Co-ordinator