[Air-L] new post-doc opportunity at UM/Purdue, studying social media and college access issues

Nicole Ellison enicole at umich.edu
Wed Jan 22 07:43:03 PST 2014

Hi AOIR-ers,
Rey Junco and I are working on a cool research project, and are looking for
a post doc! Please see application here:
http://umjobs.org/job_detail/91635/post_doctoral_associate

The position will entail working closely with us to design studies
exploring outcomes associated with use of a series of new apps, websites,
and games designed to address college access issues. We will have tons of
data and hope to find the perfect person to help us turn these data into
bright and shiny new papers!

>From the ad:
The Post Doctoral Associate will assist with a one-year research project
entitled Evaluating The Effectiveness of Social Media for Improving College
Access. The goal of the project is to assess the effectiveness of a series
of software products and social media applications designed to address
college access issues. These products were funded by the College Knowledge
Challenge project: see www.collegeknowledgechallenge.org/. The post-doc
will work closely with Drs. Ellison and Junco to design, conduct, and write
up a series of studies using server-level and survey data.

The postdoc will be an equal member of the research team. S/he will be
expected not only to assist with the research but to take the lead in
working with external groups (such as schools and software developers),
designing and implementing research studies, and working with the rest of
the project team. The postdoc will be expected to contribute substantially
to publications resulting from the project, including acting as first
author on some and as a secondary author on others.

The successful candidate will have experience in the following areas:

*Manipulating and analyzing quantitative data sets
*Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques
*Conducting outcomes assessments
*Understanding of or interest in young people, college access, and
educational technologies or social media more broadly
*Conducting literature reviews and writing up research results
*Ability to work effectively with a research team
*Strong communication skills and ability to coordinate with external
parties such as technology developers and K-12 contacts
*Ability to independently plan and implement research projects

Required Qualifications
A Ph.D. degree in a relevant field, including but not limited to education,
communication, information studies, psychology, or sociology, completed no
later than June 30, 2014. Strong quantitative analysis and survey design
skills and experience are required. Familiarity with the college access and
educational technology literatures is desired. We hope to find someone with
a strong work ethic, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to
work independently.

Details about how to apply are in the posting. Please let Rey or I know if
you have any questions. Please share!

Thanks,
Nicole