[Air-L] Research of Facebook public groups

Mercea, Dan Dan.Mercea.1 at city.ac.uk
Thu Jan 23 06:47:52 PST 2014

Dear Ruth,

You might be interested in this article I wrote on the public Facebook groups of two social movement organisations, the Climate Camp in the UK and Occupy the Hague in the Netherlands. In it I discuss the organisational implications of setting up and running activist Facebook groups for movement organisations and their Facebook following. The article came out last year in Information, Communication and Society. The data was collected/coded manually.

All the best,
Dan

'Probing the implications of Facebook use for the organizational form of social movement organizations' http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1369118X.2013.770050?journalCode=rics20#.UuErGLTFLcs

Abstract:  This article examines the use of Facebook by social movement organizations (SMOs) and the ramifications from that usage for their organizational form. Organizational forms have been viewed to be in flux as networked communication becomes embedded in mobilization repertoires. In what follows, it is shown that the utilization of Facebook by networked heterarchical organizations is seen to grant them access to a hitherto untapped demographic for the purpose of mobilization. Concurrently, questions are raised pertaining to organizational form, particularly in relation to the role the Facebook audience plays in movement organizations. Communication on Facebook may catalyze deliberation, information sharing and mobilization. Moreover, evidence was found pointing to its use for the self-organization of protest participation. Yet, engagement between SMOs and their Facebook audience bore little on decision-making within the organizations. Although limited in scope, the emerging contribution of such communication may be by way of channelling items into decision-making agendas.