[Air-L] 2nd Call for Participation: Participatory Design with Persons Living with Cognitive or Sensory Impairments - Workshop at CHI2014

Barbara Crowley bcrowley at snabbo.com
Tue Jan 7 08:30:48 PST 2014

Hi Niels,

If one of your participants develops a research study from attending
this workshop, I would be happy to assist in subject recruitment by
posting it on my website (snabbo.com a social network for Baby Boomers)
and my twitter account @snabbo.
Sincerely,

Barbara Crowley
972.333.5528

CEO- Snabbo, Inc. [5]
Co-Founder- Innovation in Aging, Caregiving and Technology Summit [6]
Therapist- Positive Outlook Counseling [7]
Twitter- @snabbo

On 2014-01-07 10:19, Niels Hendriks wrote:

> Are you interested in participatory design and do you work with users with
> impairments? We organize a workshop on participatory design for persons
> with cognitive or sensory impairments at
> CHI2014<http://pdwithimpairmentschi2014.wordpress.com/ [1]>in Toronto,
> Canada. This workshop will be held on April 26.
>
> Workshop on participatory design for users living with cognitive or sensory
> impairments
>
> Involving people with impairments in the design process is very
> challenging, especially when impairments affect cognitive or sensory
> functions. People with such impairments may have substantial problems with
> thought processes and communication, including understanding abstractions,
> sequencing thoughts and actions, understanding symbols, and interpreting
> social cues. Many participatory design techniques are based on these
> processes and are therefore not usable, or need to be adjusted for people
> with impairments.
>
> Workshop aims
>
> This workshop aims to:
>
> 1) bring together people who are active in the topic of the workshop to
> exchange ideas and experiences regarding participatory design techniques
> that were designed for, or adapted to people with impairments.
>
> 2) identify general guidelines for doing participatory design with people
> living with cognitive or sensory impairments.
>
> Workshop setup
>
> The workshop will start from the results of two workshops held at the
> Participatory Design Conference 2012 and INTERACT 2013 as well as from the
> experiences of the workshop's participants. Based on this, we will identify
> general guidelines for doing participatory design with people living with
> cognitive or sensory impairments. As such, much of the time schedule is
> reserved for formulating concrete guidelines that will help researchers and
> designers to streamline their activities and 'standardize' methodological
> practices.
>
> This full-day workshop has a creative, generative character. It will
> refrain from using a standard workshop setup of presentations and
> discussions. Sharing best practices, brainstorms and formulating guidelines
> in interactive group sessions will be at the core of all activities.
>
> Who should attend?
>
> Researchers and designers working on (a) design-oriented project(s)
> involving people with cognitive or sensory impairments are invited to
> participate. Especially those who have adjusted existing participatory
> design techniques to such users are encouraged to apply.
>
> Application
>
> People can apply by filling in one or more workshop cards (available from
> the workshop's website <http://pdwithimpairmentschi2014.wordpress.com/ [1]>),
> describing their target group and a technique they used. In addition,
> applicants write a one-pager about their expectations of the workshop. At
> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://pdwithimpairmentschi2014.wordpress.com/
[2] http://aoir.org