[Air-L] call for delegate, Downscaling Culture Conference

Dorottya Cserző CserzoDC at cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Jul 11 07:28:58 PDT 2014

Downscaling Culture
Revisiting Intercultural Communication

Cardiff University, Wales, UK
18-19 September 2014

Call for delegates

In this two-day conference we would like to address culture and intercultural communication from a micro-perspective. Commonly the linguistic study of intercultural communication is concerned with analysing miscommunication between speakers from two or more different 'cultures', defined predominantly as large-scale nation and language communities. A downscaled notion of culture challenges this perspective and encourages a fresh look at local cultures: subcultures, small groups, families, communities of practice; every group of persons who use common signs to create meaning-making ensembles of signs that relate to their life-world.
The papers in this conference will focus on such downscaled notions of culture, as well as revisit the theoretical and methodological underpinnings of intercultural communication studies. Participants from across the world present their research on various topics, including food talk, charity discourse, educational policies and world Englishes. A full programme can be viewed on the conference website<http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/encap/newsandevents/events/conferences/downscalingculture.html>.
We are pleased to announce the following distinguished speakers:

Dr Shobha Satyanath, University of Delhi, India
Professor Srikant Sarangi, Aalborg University, Denmark
Dr Frances Rock & Amal Hallak, Cardiff University, UK
Dr Tereza Spilioti, Cardiff University, UK

The registration fee is ?30.00, which includes a conference pack, refreshments, tea, coffee, water and cold lunch for two days. Registration is open until the 26th August 2014. Registration forms can be downloaded from our website and should be emailed to the organising committee at downscalingculture at cardiff.ac.uk<mailto:downscalingculture at cardiff.ac.uk>.
Please feel free to get in touch with us should you have any queries.

Jaspal Singh, Argyro Kantara, Dorottya Cserző??