[Air-L] More "Mind Control": Hacking Online Polls and Other Ways British Spies Seek to Control the Internet

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jul 15 04:05:36 PDT 2014

It's not just for internal corporate purposes, btw --- folks like NSA and GCHQ develop tools to modify social media environments, online polls, manipulate identities/content, and more all the time.  Sad, but not surprising to see this happen:

GCHQ has tools to manipulate online information, leaked documents show
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/14/gchq-tools-manipulate-online-information-leak

On a side note, some call it 'mind control' while the official terms include "perception management" and "shaping the information (or cognitive) environment."   Used to be called "psychological operations" but a few years ago that got deemed too controversial and dropped by the US DOD in favor of "military information support operations."  (MISO - like the soup.  Yes, really.)

I have some more thoughts on this, but am heading out the door for a quasi vacation shortly and don't have the time to throw 'em down.  Maybe when I get back....

-- rick

---