[Air-L] What's your 1 sentence explanation of "Internet Research"

Scott MacLeod scott at scottmacleod.com
Sun Jul 27 07:08:34 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I'd take a kind of Manueal Castellian approach (but not completely
sidestepping questions of technological determinism implicit in this
definition question) to suggest that:

Internet research involves the study of "our societies which are
increasingly structured around the bipolar opposition of the Net and
the Self" ("Rise of the Network Society"  1996/2000); "the ?Net?
denotes the network organizations replacing vertically integrated
hierarchies as the dominant form of social organization, (and) the
Self denotes the practices a person uses in reaffirming social
identity and meaning in a continually changing cultural landscape"
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Castells ).

Yes, thanks Gordon for this inquiry as well.

Best,
Scott

On 7/27/14 2:20 AM, Mary L. Gray wrote:
> Hey all, Melissa, I really like your 1 sentence zinger definition
> for net research. My only revision would be to put the focus on the
> relationships to technologies rather than setting up technologies
> as forces (media effects) in and of themselves. Something like:
>
> "Internet studies is the interdisciplinary consideration of the
> relationships that bind Internet technologies, individuals' lives,
> social institutions, and cultural meaning."
>
> ?
>
> Best (and thanks, Gordon, for starting the fun/productive thread),
> mary
>

> On Jul 27, 2014, at 3:30 AM, air-l-request at listserv.aoir.org
> wrote:
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2 Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 10:27:09 +0800 From:
>> "Nile.Melissa" <nile.melissa at gmail.com> To: Gordon Carlson
>> <gordycarlson at gmail.com> Cc: AoIR-L <air-l at listserv.aoir.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Air-L] What's your 1 sentence explanation of
>> "Internet Research" Message-ID:
>> <AECD2E5E-EA49-4CB1-B818-48F6FC3DDC8F at gmail.com> Content-Type:
>> text/plain;	charset=us-ascii
>>
>> My "single sentence" definition:
>>
>> "Internet studies is the interdisciplinary consideration of how
>> Internet technologies are changing individuals, societies and
>> cultures."
>>
>> But that's just my two cents worth.
>>
>> - Melissa Nile.
>>

>>> On 26 Jul 2014, at 8:51 am, Gordon Carlson
>>> <gordycarlson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I don't think AoIR work can be encapsulated in a sentence.  And
>>> I embrace the transdisciplinary nature of everyone's work.
>>>
>>> In that spirit, rather than try to write a monolithic
>>> description, I would love to hear how each of you would
>>> describe/define "Internet Research". What is it?  Who does it?
>>> Why do it?
>>>
>>> I have been having trouble articulating some of my own work and
>>> would love to know how you are doing it.
>>>
>>> I appreciate your time and effort and will gladly share a
>>> compiled list of all the responses I get if anyone is
>>> interested.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance, Gordon Carlson
>>>
>>> PS - if you also want to send me your 2-3 sentence versions or
>>> versions that focus on how YOU study the internet I'd be happy
>>> to read those as well.
>>>
>>> -- Gordon Carlson Assistant Professor, Communication Studies,
>>> Fort Hays State University Executive Director, Society for
>>> Conceptual Logistics in Communication Research (sclcr.com)
>>>
>>> Twitter: @Gordon_Carlson Facebook: Gordon.S.Carlson Phone:
>>> 541.990.1155 _______________________________________________
>>> Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org Subscribe,
>>> change options or unsubscribe at:
>>>
>>> Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
>>> http://www.aoir.org/
>>

> Mary L. Gray Associate Professor The Media School Adjunct Faculty,
> American Studies; Anthropology; Gender Studies Indiana University,
> Bloomington

> [...]

- --
- - Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- - http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- - 415 480 4577
- - PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- - World University and School - like Wikipedia with MIT OpenCourseWare
(not endorsed by MIT OCW) - incorporated as a nonprofit university and
school in California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational
organization, both effective April 2010.