[Air-L] help with Facebook analysis - research project social movement organizations

Marisa von Bülow marisavonbulow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 15:41:15 PDT 2014

Dear all,

as promised, here is a summary of the answers I got on my request for help
with getting data from Facebook.

First of all, various people responded that there doesn´t seem to be an
ideal way of getting big chunks of Facebook data in a three-year period, as
we want to do.
As Bernhard Rieder himself argued in a recent post, "Facebook is a nasty
thing to study. It is much more complicated – in terms of interface,
architecture, features, etc. – than Twitter for example. It has a lot of
users and different types of interaction spaces. It is rather easy to
extract a lot of data from it, particularly for companies creating apps and
focusing on individual users and their network neighborhoods – but it is
really difficult to get any kind of macro view" (
http://thepoliticsofsystems.net/).

However, several very generous and nice people responded with the following
suggestions:

1. That I contact Bernhard Rieder directly and ask for a way around netvizz
limitations on numbers of posts. However, one person argued that he is way
too busy to answer emails, and I am guessing that´s probably true.
2. That I use NodeXL and the Social Network Importer to get data from
Facebook pages and groups. This was actually a great suggestion, because,
as one person argued, it has the possibility of defining specific periods.
So while I am still unable to get all the data I want, I can get posts (and
interactions) from specific periods in time.
3. That I use Discovertext. They have a trial version that can be used for
a limited amount of time (and data), but other than that you have to pay.
4. That I get "admin" access from administrators of fanpages. We have
actually been pursuing that option. Again, it does not give us the
information we want, but the metrics available as admin are very useful in
better understanding how organizations (in our case) use Facebook, as well
as the types of interactions they allow. As one person pointed out, though,
we have to pay attention to the differences between interacting in fanpages
and in Facebook groups.

To sum up: no ideal way of getting Facebook data through long periods of
time, but several partial ways that can help us build the larger picture.
Of course interviews with administrators and users can also be key,
depending on the research questions. In our case, interviews definitely
make a lot of sense and we have so far over 40 interviews with student
leaders.

Thanks again for all the help, folks! I will keep you posted as this
research project moves on.

Marisa

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Marisa von Bülow <marisavonbulow at gmail.com