[Air-L] help with Facebook analysis - research project social movement organizations

Marisa von Bülow marisavonbulow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 08:42:02 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I head a research project on the Internet and social movement activism.
More specifically, we are doing a research on the uses of different
Internet platforms by the student movement in Chile. We are currently
setting up the project webpage, and as soon as it is ready I will let you
know, so those of you who might be interested can access more detailed
information on the project, including preliminary results.

One of the main goals of our project is to analyze how the uses of these
platforms have changed through time, more specifically between the
beginning of 2011 and the end of 2013. We are also interested in
understanding the differences in uses of the various social network sites
(for deliberation, information sharing, protest coordination, etc.), and in
better understanding their impacts on the relationship between the
leadership and the students in general.

The reason for this message is that we are struggling to define a research
strategy to gather Facebook data (fanpages, groups and events). So far we
have been able to do social network analysis with Twitter data, and we have
also been looking into YouTube and the use of webpages and blogs. We are
also beginning to do content analysis with posts (using Nvivo). About
Facebook, we are wondering if any of you have had experience using netvizz.
We want to get data on how well connected the fanpages of the students´
organizations are among themselves, and other types of social network data.
However, netvizz limits the access to the past 999 posts, which is a
serious limitation to us, because, as explained above, we are interested in
going back to 2011.

Would you know of other options, besides netvizz? Any other tips?

I am very grateful for your help! If you wish, please answer at
marisavonbulow at gmail.com, and I will organize all the answers and share
them with the list.
Also, I can send anyone interested more details about this research project.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Marisa

--
Marisa von Bülow