[Air-L] call for chapter: Closed Systems / Open Worlds

Jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Jun 3 04:33:05 PDT 2014

Closed Systems / Open Worlds

Edited by: Jeremy Hunsinger (Wilfrid Laurier University), Jason Nolan
(Ryerson University) & Melanie McBride (York University)

This book will consist of explorations at the boundaries of virtual
worlds as enclosed but encouraging spaces for exploration, learning,
and enculturation. Game/worlds like Second Life, OpenSim, Minecraft,
and Cloud Party are providing spaces for the construction of
alternatives and reimaginings, though frequently they end up more as
reproductions. We seek to challenge those spaces and their
creativities and imaginings.

These worlds exist as both code and conduct. Code is a modulating
multiple signifier, in that the interpreters of the code vary from
human to machine and that our understanding of the signifier changes
the worldliness in itself. The conduct of both participants and
administrators of these spaces influences how they flourish and then
fade. As such the worlds and their anima/animus are socially
constructed fictions where authors/creators/users, both above and
below the actions are sometimes in concert, yet often in conflict with
the space and intentions of the originators.

This book seeks critically engaged scholars who want to risk the
possibility of change in the face of closed systems. We are looking
for critical or speculative essays that must be theoretically,
empirically and/or contextually grounded chapters of 5000-6500 words
plus apparatus. Doctoral students and non-tenure faculty members will
be afforded blind peer review upon request.

We are aiming for 12 -14 chapters that define the boundaries and thus
likely futures of research on virtual worlds.

Dates
Aug 1, 2014 – 250 word précis with 5-10 key references
Aug. 30, 2014 – accept/reject proposals
Feb 1, 2015 – final draft due
July 1, 2015 – feedback from reviewers
September 1, 2015 – final version
December 1, 2015 – in press

Queries and submissions: ClosedandOpenBook at gmail.com

Topics may include:

alternative and minor game/virtual/etc. worlds
archeologies/genealogies of virtuality
augmented and mixed-reality worlds
distributed cognitions
early explorations in virtual learning environments
the freedom of limitations
identity construction and/or identity tourism
the limits of simulation and emulation
memories and forgetting in virtual worlds
multisensory virtual environments
multisensory exclusions in virtual worlds
narratival and post-narratival andragogies, ‘learning worlds’
negative spaces as learning spaces (bullying, trolling, flaming, etc.)
in virtual worlds
non-social virtual worlds (dwarf fortress, some forms of minecraft, etc.)
real world virtual worlds and boundaries (Lego, Hello Kitty, WebKinz, etc.)
replication of real world environments/problems
surrealism, unrealism and constructable alterities of/within virtual worlds
transformative virtual classroom
vapourware and virtuality
the virtuality of learning

--
jeremy hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture

www.tmttlt.com

http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki
http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/  Transdisciplinary
Studies:the book series

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it.
-Pablo Picasso