[Air-L] Sociomateriality and previous empirical research

Karin Bolldén karin at bollden.se
Tue Jun 3 09:16:48 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues

I am a PhD Candidate writing a thesis on online teaching practices in a
higher education context and have difficulties navigating through all the
previous empirical studies published. Is there anyone on this list who has
knowledge of:

1. published empirical studies in a higher education context, using
sociomaterial perspectives/practice theory as a theoretical perspective (in
particular Schatzki) when analysing online teaching?

2. a recent handbook or research overview on online teaching and learning
in higher education or a recent handbook in distance education/e-learning
in general that could serve as a starting point for getting an overview of
the current research situation in the field?

3. a text that deals with the different concepts that are used to
denominate the field (such as distance education and e-learning) and also
gives some clarity on which concepts that are mostly used at the moment?

I am sincerely grateful for anything you would like to share with me.

Best regards
Karin Bolldén
PhD Student in Adult Learning
Department of Behavioural Sciences and Learning
Linköping University, Sweden