[Air-L] solicit input on a course about social media and public policy

Christina Wu jingsi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 11:33:14 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

I am slated to teach the course for the second time about new media
technology and public policy, this time with a heavier emphasis on policy
areas related to the social media.  As I am revamping the course to reflect
recent policy developments, as well as to make it more hands-on (I am being
reminded time and time again that students would like to "do" things that
are challenging but also fun), I would love to seek your expert opinions
about this topic, along with ideas about class activities.

No suggestions will be redundant.  Please feel free to share sub-topics,
assignments, and if it is not too much to ask, even syllabuses.  I intend
to have a built-in online element to this course, given that it is about
the digital media.  Students will create and share things here during the
semester, some of which could culminate into a final product (textual as
well as audio-video).  My hope is to use some more popular platforms such
as Wordpress and Youtube, so that students can carry their work from this
class forward into the "real world".  If you have experiences to share in
this department, I will be grateful.

Thank you all in advance!  I would be happy to compile a list of things
from the on-list and off-list responses and share with everyone if there is
such a demand.

Best,
JCW
--