[Air-L] Digital Crossings in Europe, special issue on digital media and migration out now

Leurs, K.H.A. (Koen) K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl
Fri Jun 6 05:24:06 PDT 2014

Dear list-members,

[Apologies for x-posting]

With this note I would like to kindly inform you all of the publication of a special issue on digital media and migration I guest-edited with Sandra Ponzanesi called “Digital Crossings in Europe” in the Intellect journal Crossings. Journal of Migration and Culture.

Access the special issue via this link: http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Article,id=17785/

‘On digital crossings in Europe’ explores the entanglements of digital media and migration beyond the national and mono-ethnic focus. We argue how borders, iden¬tity and affectivity have been destabilized and reconfigured through medium-specific technological affordances, opting for a comparative and postcolonial framework that focuses on diversity in conjunction with cosmopolitan aspirations. Internet applica¬tions make it possible to sustain new forms of diaspora and networks, which operate within and beyond Europe, making issues of ethnicity, nationality, race and class not obsolete but transformed. It is therefore important and timely to analyse how these reconfigurations take place and affect everyday life. Using a critical approach to digital tools that avoids utopian notions of connectivity and borderlessness, this article highlights the dyssymmetries and tensions produced by the ubiquitousness of digital connectivity. – Blurb from our introductory essay.

Table of contents:

On digital crossings in Europe
- Sandra Ponzanesi And  Koen Leurs

Traces of dispersion: Online media and diasporic identities
- Dana Diminescu And  Benjamin Loveluck

No apologies for cross-posting: European trans-media space and the digital circuitries of racism
- Gavan Titley

The migration industry of connectivity services: A critical discourse approach to the Spanish case in a European perspective
- Cecilia Gordano Peile

Forced migrants, emotive practice and digital heterotopia
- Saskia Witteborn

The politics of transnational affective capital: Digital connectivity among young Somalis stranded in Ethiopia
- Koen Leurs

Young African Norwegian women and diaspora: Negotiating identity and community through digital social networks
- Henry Mainsah

Privileged Mexican migrants in Europe: Distinctions and cosmopolitanism on social networking sites
- Lorena Nessi And  Olga Guedes Bailey

Ethnicity in digital crossroads. Understanding processes of cultural thickening in a mediatized world
- Cigdem Bozdag

Modes of self-representation: Visualized identities of former Yugoslav migrant women in the Netherlands
- Jasmijn Van Gorp

Review Essay: Diasporas and new media: Connections, identities, politics and affect
- Eugenia Siapera

Book Review Media and the City – Myria Georgiou
- Eunike Piwoni

Koen Leurs, PhD
| Marie Curie Postdoctoral Researcher,
  London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) |
| Affiliated researcher Graduate Gender Studies
Institute for Cultural Enquiry (ICON)
Utrecht University  |

www.koenleurs.net