[Air-L] Online mob justice

michael_muller at us.ibm.com michael_muller at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 23 17:10:53 PDT 2014

It might be interesting to track the concept of "deviance" as a
characterization of online behaviors.  Of course, that word has a very
troubling history (e.g., "sexual deviance" as a label for the minority
sexual orientations).  In my experience, "deviance" has been a label
applied to people whom other people did not like (the case of Mark Ethan
Smith), and also to cyberloafing.  You can find a lot of work in this area
in the ACM Digital Library if you search on "deviance."

I readily acknowledge that there are pernicious and aggressive and
deliberately hurtful activities that occur online, fueled by racism and
sexism and homophobia and all sort of hatreds.  If the topic is
"vigilantism," then it might be interesting to look at boundaries, and at
who has the power to characterize other people (or their actions) as
"mobs" or as "justice."

thanks,
--michael